• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hospital worker doesn't want Covid vaccine.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
For the record, I work for one of the biggest, best known and most respected research universities in the world. Our Medical school, School of Public Health and our Science departments have been up to their eyebrows in Covid research, vaccine research and vaccine safety, ever since this whole debacle began. Every time I turn around, someone who gets their paycheck from the same institution I do is being quoted in national and even international publications. These are the folks who have actual experience with the science and the workings behind it. Just last week I was in contact with an employee who is currently on leave to be one of President Biden's top science advisors specific to Covid research.

We are still working remotely unless your job CANNOT be done off campus. We have been told as recently as last week that when we DO return to campus, we will not be allowed on without proof of vaccination AND unless we have closed-door office access we must be masked while inside any university building. Only about a fifth of any given team will be allowed in at the same time; my team will still be working remotely four days out of five. No more than two members of the team will be allowed back in on the same day. And that's for the people who are vaccinated. If you're not vaccinated, you're not allowed back on at all. Exceptions will only be allowed in the event of proven medical or religious reasons, and we also have to prove we've been vaccinated. We are union, and none of the unions are protesting these requirements. We are all interested in staying safe.

If I get a time-out for this next paragraph, so be it. Anyone who isn't getting vaccinated is an idiot, and if that means you and your wife, OP, the shoe fits. You can find something on the internet to support any cockamamie theory you care to back; that doesn't make it true. Science has had a solid knowledge and understanding of vaccinations since Edward Jenner in 1796. I'll back two and a quarter centuries of science research against your twenty minutes on Google any day, and a handful of politicians who have a vested interest in insisting that Covid isn't all that bad don't make MY decisions for me.

quincy

The National Conference of State Legislatures recently pointed out that, in addition to obvious health and safety reasons for having employees vaccinated against Covid-19, an employer also has legal and ethical concerns.

Already there have been Covid-related lawsuits filed. If someone is infected with the virus through the negligence of another, a lawsuit can result.

And those in health care professions are governed by professional ethics.

There are all sorts of reasons for an employer, especially in the medical field, to mandate vaccines.

FarmerJ

There are articles in both the WSJ and mpls star trib this this morning addressing Mandated shots. I see it this way I work with alot of anti vaxers they too were anti maskers, Our employer had posted signage in ALL the sites saying mask were required . after two weeks many individual managers were not wearing them , allowed many staff to work with out yet the only staff who were exempted were staff who worked overnights , the idea was to mask if a client woke and came into a common area then we were directed to mask up. I dont know if there was more than one but I do know for sure one gentleman with many many health issues became infected and died.. Now as to employees refusal to get vaccinated is not a absolute right , there is only one religious group i know of who can claim their church -faith does not support vaccinations ( there could be more but i only know of one) anyway a employer can make ALL of its property non smoking and there is nothing a staff can do to block the employers policy a employer can make a site perfume- cologne scent free some specialty painting - assembly jobs paints fish eye when so called perfumes - colognes off gas Same with requiring staff to be vaccinated. , your certainly free to use the links above and find a Lawyer who specializes in employment law and arrange a consultation.

quincy

BabaBlksheep mentions in his initial post a “Texas case.” The case he is referring to is Jennifer Bridges, et al v. Houston Methodist Hospital, et al.

The case was filed against Houston Methodist Hospital by 117 of is employees in an attempt to block the Hospital’s employee vaccine mandate.

Following is a link to the Dismissal Order signed by U.S. District Judge Lynn Hughes on June 12:

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/houston-methodist-court-ruling/3468984fc566cea5/full.pdf

Judge Hughes said in dismissing the suit:

“Methodist is trying to do their business of saving lives without giving them the COViD-19 virus. It is a choice made to keep staff, patients, and their families safer. Bridges can freely choose to accept or refuse a COVID-19 vaccine; however, if she refuses, she will simply need to work elsewhere ... Every employment includes limits on the worker’s behavior in exchange for remuneration. That is all part of the bargain.”

BabaBlksheep can read through the Order to see why the arguments made by the employees in their case against the Hospital failed. I do not see BabaBlksheep’s wife having any greater success.

LandPeasant

It's clear at this point since the Texas case that the hospitals have the upper hand... for now.

Due to this emboldened stance the hospital my wife works for in NC gave their employees till October to get vaccinated or be terminated.

My wife texted this too me just now "..they brought up the vaccine at huddle and said that the hospital has contacted a lawyer and they are covered as far as any law suits and that if anyone tries the religious route, that it won't stand up if you have ever taken the flu shot or other vaccine. They also said if you don't resign, they will take discipline action against you and you can never work for them again."

This question is less to do with how she can keep her job and more to do with how the hospital can treat it's employees, who have not been vaccinated, during this phase?

Can the management bully them?

Obviously the hospital wants the standouts to quit instead of be fired.

what would you be on the lookout for that might cross the line for the hospital?

Thank you for your time.
If you work for a hospital and refused to get the vaccination, you’re putting a lot of vulnerable people in danger. The whole Covid question falls under the umbrella of “extraordinary times“. To not get the vaccination out of fear is regrettable, but for goodness sake‘s, find another place to work!

Just Blue

If you work for a hospital and refused to get the vaccination, you’re putting a lot of vulnerable people in danger. The whole Covid question falls under the umbrella of “extraordinary times“. To not get the vaccination out of fear is regrettable, but for goodness sake‘s, find another place to work!
Please don't dig up threads that were already answered. The original poster of this thread was advised and hasn't been back since late July.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">