• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hostile?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tate37920

What is the name of your state? Tennessee When I got to work today my boss just started screaming at me that I had taken some paper work that belonged to him. He asked me on Wednesday to give him some papers off the printer which I did and this morning he said I never gave them to him. He insisted that I had them and when I tried to convinnce him that I didn't he called me a liar and picked up several items off of his desk and threw them at me. His desk is about two feet away from mine and he just threw the stuff at my face. I then shoved my keyboard away from me and left the office. I felt threatened and thought that I shouldn't ahve to be there in that enviroment.I went to talk to the owner wich is his father and he made excuses, like there was a lot going on and that he may be under some pressure. But does that mean he can verbally abuse me and then throw things at me? Everyone who was there and several others that I have talked to said that I should talk to a lwayer and see what recourse of action I should take next. My boss and his father the owner said they would talk to me after they had a chance to discuss matters. And after I left another employee called me and said that ten minutes after I walked out he found the papers he was looking for on his desk under some other things.

Beth3

No, that is not a hostile work environment in the legal meaning of the phrase. Unpleasant, yes. Hostile, no. There's no sense your wasting any money to see an attorney. No laws require the boss to be a nice person - or even sane.

You're free to look for employment elsewhere if the boss's behavior continues and you decide you don't want to tolerate it.

purple2

tate37920 said:
My boss and his father the owner said they would talk to me after they had a chance to discuss matters.
I'm not sure why you want to contact a lawyer. What you've described is appropriate--you had a valid problem, you attempted to resolve it with the person, were unsuccessful, removed yourself from the argument and reported it to his boss, and his boss says he will discuss it with the guy. Sounds like it was handled, not ignored, by the owner. That's a description of him living up to his responsibility.

The content of his discussion with the guy is a private matter between him and the guy. It would be unprofessional of him to share with you any reprimand or counseling that may have occurred.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">