• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hours worked vs Vacation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cindi86Rai

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hello,

I requested 3 days paid vacation in a work week and I was scheduled for an additional 28 hours on site.

My question is because this actually shows as 52 hours why aren't I able to get 12 hours OT? Why is this allowed to be separated pay in a single work week?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OT is paid for hours that you actually work. You aren't working during your paid vacation days, so no overtime is due.

Bali Hai Again

Hello,

I requested 3 days paid vacation in a work week and I was scheduled for an additional 28 hours on site.

My question is because this actually shows as 52 hours why aren't I able to get 12 hours OT? Why is this allowed to be separated pay in a single work week?
I’m curious why they paid you 52 hours instead of deducting 12 hours vacation (to be used in the future) to make a 40 hour week.

LdiJ

Hello,

Because you didn't actually work 52 hours, 24 of them are non worked compensation. That allows them to pay you straight time for all 52. They did pay you straight time for all 52 didn't they? You just didn't get time and a half, correct? If that is not correct then that would change things.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As the others have said, overtime is due on hours WORKED, not on hours PAID. What's more, paid vacation is an optional benefit. If you worked 28 hours and the rest was vacation, under the FLSA you were due pay on 28 hours, period. The rest is a matter between you and your employer. Under no law, Federal or state, in any state, is overtime due on hours you did not work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">