• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How are lottery winnings treated for child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cainlord

What is the name of your state? ND

How are lottery winnings treated when it comes to child support? Do you pay a lump sum from the winnings or they do something else?

CJane

How are lottery winnings treated when it comes to child support? Do you pay a lump sum from the winnings or they do something else?
The lottery winnings themselves are not likely to be factored into support, if paid in a lump sum and used for CURRENT/FUTURE support.

If arrears are owed, the winnings can be attached in a lump sum.

However, any income generated from the winnings (interest income, income from investments, etc), or if the winnings are paid in an annuity type deal instead of a lumpsum payment, THAT may (and likely WILL) be considered for child support purposes.

hearts41

Lottery winnings! Now that would be nice. :)

I agree with the op, it would be applied towards arreages, at least in my state. FL

Hearts

Last edited:

tuffbrk

Lottery winnings! Now that would be nice. :)

I agree with the op, it would be applied towards arreages, at least in my state.

Hearts
That's nice. Except your state isn't noted so this will be of no assistance in the future or to any other parties searching the threads.

Silverplum

You never know, in the future someone may need this info.

Hearts
Sure, especially because you bothered to add a link from a reputable site, showing your point wasn't just blather.

Oh, wait. You didn't.

But you did remember your onscreen name. Again.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LdiJ

Any lump sum cash received by a parent can be attached for arrearages in ANY state. That includes lottery winnings, inheritances, sales of major assets (with a properly executed lien).

Therefore what was posted wasn't "blather".

Silverplum

Any lump sum cash received by a parent can be attached for arrearages in ANY state. That includes lottery winnings, inheritances, sales of major assets (with a properly executed lien).

Therefore what was posted wasn't "blather".
Golly gee, thanks so much for the clarification!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">