• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I protect this website from libel claims?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ThinLizzy

What is the name of your state?NC

I was wrongly terminated by my employer. I want to make a website about them similar to ones like aolsucks.com or paypalsucks.com, to expose their evil. What are some precautions I should take to avoid threats of libel?

Thanks

ThinLizzy said:
What is the name of your state?NC

What are some precautions I should take to avoid threats of libel?

Thanks
By moving on and forget about it! Unless you were under contract, or in the case of a few issues of discrimination, most states give an employer the right to terminate for whatever reason, even if it is just that they hate the odor of your cologne!

Those dot sucks site are totally useless, but make sure every word is the absolute truth if you insist on wasting your money thusly! People know they are for one purpose only, the owner's beef, which may or may not be legitimate.

awebhost

I agree with freespeech

Hi Thinlizzy,

Before you read the rest of this post, please understand that I am not an attorney, and that I am not offering legal advice, just personal experience.

I understand the frustration you are experiencing, but "freespeech" is right, in my opinion. I am a web host (you may have guessed that by the name), and several times a month I get e-mails asking if I allow the ***suckz.com type sites.

My answer is always the same. "If you are willing to agree to pay my legal expenses, which are bound to occur, yes".

The reason for my answer is that you are likely to be sued. The problem is that they will sue me, too.

I'm not sure of the name of the act, it has gone through several revisions, but it basically states that a web host is providing a service and not a content provider or publisher, and is therefore immune to libel actions. Thanks be to (whomever), I have always been released (I don't remember the proper legal term) from the law suit.

That being said, if you are determined to continue down this path, be sure that the information you offer is either stated as personal opinion or documented fact. You will probably wind up in court anyway, and you'd better be able to prove everything you publish on your site.

Ok, now...just some personal advice. You are hurt; you are angry; don't let that become personally destructive. Get your anger out in another way. Move on with your life, and make the rest productive. Focusing on such anger will only serve to hurt you in the long run.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to read, but for a moment at least, understand that is probably what you NEEDED to read!

Good luck

ThinLizzy

What if you operated the ****sucks website with a statement that the purpose of the site was to create a union for the employees of that company. Would you be able to prevent harrasment from the company with the defense that any legal action they take is in violation of the right to collective bargaining? would this work if you were a former employee and not a current employee?

Ben the 2L

ThinLizzy said:
What if you operated the ****sucks website with a statement that the purpose of the site was to create a union for the employees of that company. Would you be able to prevent harrasment from the company with the defense that any legal action they take is in violation of the right to collective bargaining? would this work if you were a former employee and not a current employee?
Let's put it this way...

If I was a big company, or even a mid sized company... and I found another website that was named "XYZ-sucks.com"...

I would destroy you. I would expect a corporate attorney to do the same.

This .sucks idea is really is not a good idea at all. There is proper recourse if you were wrongfully terminated under a contract, or as stated, if discrimination was present.

-Bt2L

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">