• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can my father resolve "absconded" status from sex offender registry after leaving the U.S. while on probation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ajay.x

My father was charged with Aggravated Sexual Assault many years ago and received 5 years of probation. During the 4th year, he violated his probation due to a minor theft charge and was incarcerated for almost 5 years. He was released in 2012 and re-registered as required.

In 2015, due to a family emergency (his mother was gravely ill), he left the U.S. and moved to Mexico without notifying his probation officer or the authorities. He has been living there ever since and did not maintain his sex offender registration. I recently discovered that he is listed as "absconded" on the Texas DPS Sex Offender Registry.

My father wants to return to the U.S. but is afraid of the potential legal consequences. There don't appear to be any active warrants in Dallas County, but I’m not sure if there are state or federal warrants related to his absconded status.
  1. What are the legal consequences of leaving the country while on probation without notifying authorities, especially for a registered sex offender?
  2. How can he address or resolve his "absconded" status while still in Mexico?
  3. What steps should he take to mitigate the legal risks upon returning to the U.S.?
We are unable to afford an attorney at the moment, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any advice or guidance you can provide.

adjusterjack

There don't appear to be any active warrants in Dallas County, but I’m not sure if there are state or federal warrants related to his absconded status.
There may not be anything that you have access to but it's possible that the authorities can see it.

What are the legal consequences of leaving the country while on probation without notifying authorities, especially for a registered sex offender?
Worst case scenario - prison. Best case - anything less than prison. No way of anybody predicting.

How can he address or resolve his "absconded" status while still in Mexico?
Hire a lawyer in the US.

What steps should he take to mitigate the legal risks upon returning to the U.S.?
Hire a lawyer in the US.

We are unable to afford an attorney at the moment
Then he stays in Mexico until he can afford one.

Or returns to the US and turns himself in where he might qualify for a public defender.

Or returns to the US and lives illegally like many others.

Bottom line. He made a colossal mistake and there is no painless way of fixing it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">