• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I avoid being taxed twice for the same income?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Well then why did you say that it was for form 1099k? I do prepare those but we don't pay anyone via credit card that would get a 1099-MISC.
He didn't say it was from Form 1099-K. He was directly quoting the instructions from Form 1099-MISC. It starts off with the bold text "Form 1099-K". Read it yourself on page 2 of the Form 1099-MISC instructions, very bottom of the first column. However I see the source of potential confusion since he didn't expressly state from where the quoted text was obtained, i.e. you had to infer from the context of the thread that the form he was referring to was the Form 1099-MISC.

I'll grant you that the IRS could have been more clear in its write up on this how the reporting works with third party network transactions, but at least the instructions do give some kind of heads up that the reporting here is to be done by the market place (e.g. PayPal, Amazon, whatever) rather than the vendor in this circumstance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Not if you use the grammatical rules of punctuation correctly.
Let's be clear here: I understood what you meant based on reading the entire post, however, I can see how it could easily be misinterpreted upon a quick read-through. "Ambiguous" was probably not the right word, as it was correct as written. It is better said that your post (unintentionally) left room for misinterpretation.

I'm not attacking you, so there is no need to be defensive. Step back and take a breath.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">