• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I beat these tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

So you were illegally driving a vehicle without it being registered and you were displaying fictitious plates. I presume you say you were indeed speeding. You're gonna need this guy... too bad he's in North Carolina.

That^ guy is closer to OP than Saul is.:giggle:

Sager1982

Pay the fines. Nothing you've stated is going to fly in an Alabama court.
Yeah,that's why I'm asking what will fly? I'm sure the switched tag is out as his reasoning was based on his clerical error,the tag was expired but not switched.. as far as failure to register,dont I have 20 days from the date on my bill of sale? .. and speeding,well idk,he knew that wasn't the same bike he put in the description,does he not have responsibility of due diligence? He never ran the vin,how does he know it wasnt stolen? Along with everything else,I'd say he wasn't very thorough with his investigation.

Sager1982

So you were illegally driving a vehicle without it being registered and you were displaying fictitious plates. I presume you say you were indeed speeding. You're gonna need this guy... too bad he's in North Carolina.

Negative,as I stated the tag, though expired, went to that bike,the officer checked/issued tickets to the wrong tag number,,your presumption is also incorrect.but yes,I was riding an insured bike that I had recently purchased before registering it,,what can I say I'm a rebel..

FlyingRon

You're confusing two things.
One, is that you must register the vehicle within 20 days.
But that's not the issue.
The issue is you must have a valid registration (either regular or temporary) on the vehicle before you drive it. You didn't have that.

Sager1982

I'm still trying to understand the details here.

Was your bike legally registered to you and that tag is the one assigned to that registration?

The officer is free to change his mind about warnings after running background checks on you. Clerical errors on tickets are by and large meaningless when it comes to defense.
Please read my reply to the geekess for related info..and yeah,I wasn't insinuating that he be held to his word,but it wasn't the background check that changed his mind.js

Sager1982

You're confusing two things.
One, is that you must register the vehicle within 20 days.
But that's not the issue.
The issue is you must have a valid registration (either regular or temporary) on the vehicle before you drive it. You didn't have that.
You have educated me on that,I always thought no registration was required between purchase and 20 days, however that's not the issue either,the issue is how do I envoke my internet rights against these pirates

FlyingRon

The twenty days are to make sure the title gets registered and you pay your taxes promptly. It doesn't have squat to do with vehicle operation.

What on earth are "internet rights?"
As the song goes, don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

You can try going to court with your tale of woe on the titling/registraiton problems, and perhaps the judge will take that into account. I can't see anything legally exculpable.

Sager1982

The OP wants to claim that the bike that was on the ticket just isn't capable of going 80 mph. Of course, the OP also wants to use as part of his defense that fact that the bike listed on the ticket wasn't the bike he was driving. The OP can't see the problem with either of those, or both of those.
Very observant,,so in theory shouldn't one of those arguments (which ever one you choose) dismiss the validity of one of the charges? ,, Can you see that the legal system is also content playing both sides as on one charge I will be found guilty
What "internet rights" are you speaking of?
Just not being extorted by pirates

PayrollHRGuy

Very observant,,so in theory shouldn't one of those arguments (which ever one you choose) dismiss the validity of one of the charges? ,, Can you see that the legal system is also content playing both sides as on one charge I will be found guilty

Just not being extorted by pirates
This issue has nothing to do with the internet or pirates.

Sager1982

The twenty days are to make sure the title gets registered and you pay your taxes promptly. It doesn't have squat to do with vehicle operation.

What on earth are "internet rights?"
As the song goes, don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

You can try going to court with your tale of woe on the titling/registraiton problems, and perhaps the judge will take that into account. I can't see anything legally exculpable.
Ok,thanks for your help,,Your right,I have committed a crime against the powers that be,I think I'll just pay the ransom before they have to come take it as that could get really bad for me,thanks again for your help.

Sager1982

Well obviously I have stumbled into the wrong place for legal advice,I should have known by the name of the forum,you always get what you pay for,, it has been both enlightening and disturbing.I hope someday you all find peace with your insecurities and the ability to stand up on your own two feet without the crutches of immunity.

I may be wrong, and I'm sure others will correct me if I am, but to register any vehicle in your name you will always need a title.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Tags in Alabama do not go with the vehicle; they go with the person that owns the vehicle. So, when a vehicle is sold, the tags are removed and left with the seller.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">