• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I estimate why my refund will be?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmr106

I'm in the state of Georgia, single, 36 years old. Regular job income for 2018 was $19,667.59. I missed some time due to surgery and/or job hunting. I had health insurance through the job from January - October, but not in November and December.

A few months into 2018, I saw that I was going to need a future surgery. It was going to cost a good bit and I had not met my deductible for health insurance for the year. I went around to estate sales/yard sales, looking for uncommon stuff to re-sell on Ebay that might fetch a profit. I came across one estate sale where they had a bunch of Canon toner cartridges, some slightly used and others were new and sealed. I guess the guy had his own copier company or something. I bought a big lot of them for $1,000 cash. I haven't counted how many of them I sold - probably like 100 or something, but I sold them in sets of varying numbers. No idea what I did with the receipt that they gave me at the estate sale, which was basically just a hand-written and fairly vague receipt anyway from the estate sale person. I'm not looking to take that $1,000 off as a deduction because I don't have proof and I want the peace of mind to not just assume an amount.
Total Ebay Sales/Payments Received for 2018: $6,825.81

This was not a home business, just some personal stuff (a bunch of office supplies that I had in the attic from years ago) that I sold along with the said toners. My understanding is that this income is simply added as regular income (not self-employment) and that the deductions for stuff like Ebay fees and shipping fees can be deducted from those things to get the total profit amount to report:

Total Ebay Fees: $1,085.11
Total Ebay Shipping Fees: $1,039.47
I also have medical deductions that are $2,801.78

The online programs don't seem to be of much help in helping me figure out approximately what my refund might be. They don't include some things. Just trying to get a ballpark figure. Total income of $26,493.40. After the deductions, I get $21,567.04. How do I figure out my tax liability from that amount and do I qualify for any credits or anything?

Total federal withholdings: $1,328.56
Total state withholdings: $726.71

Last edited:

LdiJ

I'm in the state of Georgia, single, 36 years old. Regular job income for 2018 was $19,667.59. I missed some time due to surgery and/or job hunting. I had health insurance through the job from January - October, but not in November and December.

A few months into 2018, I saw that I was going to need a future surgery. It was going to cost a good bit and I had not met my deductible for health insurance for the year. I went around to estate sales/yard sales, looking for uncommon stuff to re-sell on Ebay that might fetch a profit. I came across one estate sale where they had a bunch of Canon toner cartridges, some slightly used and others were new and sealed. I guess the guy had his own copier company or something. I bought a big lot of them for $1,000 cash. I haven't counted how many of them I sold - probably like 100 or something, but I sold them in sets of varying numbers. No idea what I did with the receipt that they gave me at the estate sale, which was basically just a hand-written and fairly vague receipt anyway from the estate sale person. I'm not looking to take that $1,000 off as a deduction because I don't have proof and I want the peace of mind to not just assume an amount.
Total Ebay Sales/Payments Received for 2018: $6,825.81

This was not a home business, just some personal stuff (a bunch of office supplies that I had in the attic from years ago) that I sold along with the said toners. My understanding is that this income is simply added as regular income (not self-employment) and that the deductions for stuff like Ebay fees and shipping fees can be deducted from those things to get the total profit amount to report:

Total Ebay Fees: $1,085.11
Total Ebay Shipping Fees: $1,039.47
I also have medical deductions that are $2,801.78

The online programs don't seem to be of much help in helping me figure out approximately what my refund might be. They don't include some things. Just trying to get a ballpark figure. Total income of $26,493.40. After the deductions, I get $21,567.04. How do I figure out my tax liability from that amount and do I qualify for any credits or anything?

Total federal withholdings: $1,328.56
Total state withholdings: $726.71
In my opinion when you went around looking for goods to buy to resell on ebay you created a business for those products. The personal goods you sold were not business related.

I think that you are going to need a tax professional this year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">