• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get my money???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

whrediputmykeys

Thanks for reading my post.

Unclaimed property listed as "dividend" over $100 on state website with insurance company's name next to it.

It's a life insurance policy or similar from my late Mom.

Question one: who controls the payout? The state or the insurance company.

I probably wrongly first applied to the insurance company and they are playing games with me asking me to send info they have already signed for as received. Called the state unclaimed property dept. and some bureaucrat told me the insurance company should have told me it to contact the state.

This is a policy taken out probably 50 years ago, and I don't know how long it has been listed with the state as unclaimed. What interest am I entitled to?
Will the amount be different if I pursue the claim with the company rather than the state?

The original policy is either lost or misplaced, how can I get a copy of the policy from the company?

If I now repeat all the paper work with the state and they give some excuse for not paying, what are my recourse options? Attorney General? Insurance Commissioner? The policy was sold in state X which lists the unclaimed property, I reside in state Y, the company does biz nationally and is in state Z. Which locale has jurisdiction over this? Can the insurance commissioner order them to pay a legit claim?

All the proper paperwork has been received by the insurance company who keeps asking for the same info. They are acting in bad faith.
And again why have they not told me to go to the State which lists the property as unclaimed?

Can I sue over this in small claims court, I believe the amount is under the limit. Again, who would I sue the state or the insurance company. I am tired of running around in circles trying to satisfy their ever changing application requirements.

I have contacted an attorney in the company's headquarter city and am awating a reply. I also have contacted an attorney in the state where the policy was sold.

Thanks, in advance, for any ontopic replies which may be helpful.

justalayman

It has your mother's name associated with it, correct? Then it is your mother's money. I know, she is deceased but that doesn't mean, necessarily you have a claim to the money.

Will the amount be different if I pursue the claim with the company rather than the state?
Yes. If you pursue it with the insurance company, you will get nothing. The state has the money so you cannot get anything from the insurance company.

The original policy is either lost or misplaced, how can I get a copy of the policy from the company?
You can't but you don't need it.

If I now repeat all the paper work with the state and they give some excuse for not paying, what are my recourse options?
Either stop trying or actually file the paperwork required to claim the money. So far you haven't come close to filing the correct paperwork to claim the money.

Attorney General?
no
Insurance Commissioner?
no

All the proper paperwork has been received by the insurance company who keeps asking for the same info. They are acting in bad faith.
No, they aren't acting in bad faith.

And again why have they not told me to go to the State which lists the property as unclaimed?
I don't know. Have you asked them? I'm thinking because so far, you have not provided the correct information to show you have a rightful claim to the money so they have no reason to bother with giving you any information.

Can I sue over this in small claims court, I believe the amount is under the limit.
You can sue whomever you wish wherever you wish but you will surely lose any suit you might file.

the answer is a lot simpler than you are making this. To claim the money, you have to prove you have the right to claim the money. So far you haven't even done anything of the sort, from what you have stated.

and even if you are the sole heir of your mother, it does not necessarily mean you can claim the money.

ecmst12

Wow. You are looking for a ban, big time.

You are not the customer of the insurance company so they have no obligation to deal with you in good faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">