• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get personal property returned after arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ThreeBlindCats

I'm from Indiana but i was in Alabama at the Redstone aresenal when I unfortunately (and accidently) drove up to the military base gate. They smelled weed and that was that. They took the two firearms i had in my trunk (all legal and licensed) as evidence because i was on federal property. the weapons on federal property charges were dropped and i did a year of probation for the marijuana charge. My probation has recently ended and I'm having difficulty figuring out how to go about getting the guns back. tried reaching out to my lawyer but perhaps cause the email didn't contain any $ signs it was immediately routed to spam. I'm sure this question has been asked before but I have been unable to find a relevant thread especially one so specific. I cant express how thankful id be if someone could even just get me on the right track. The case was in the US district court of northern district of Alabama.

Thank You

Just Blue

I'm from Indiana but i was in Alabama at the Redstone aresenal when I unfortunately (and accidently) drove up to the military base gate. They smelled weed and that was that. They took the two firearms i had in my trunk (all legal and licensed) as evidence because i was on federal property. the weapons on federal property charges were dropped and i did a year of probation for the marijuana charge. My probation has recently ended and I'm having difficulty figuring out how to go about getting the guns back. tried reaching out to my lawyer but perhaps cause the email didn't contain any $ signs it was immediately routed to spam. I'm sure this question has been asked before but I have been unable to find a relevant thread especially one so specific. I cant express how thankful id be if someone could even just get me on the right track. The case was in the US district court of northern district of Alabama.

Thank You
I would recommend that you consult with a Criminal Defense Attorney in Alabama on what your course of action should be.

https://www.alabar.org/

Last edited:

adjusterjack

If you were arrested by police, call the local police department's property or evidence office and ask how to get your property back.

If you were arrested by MPs call the base's MP office with the same question.

If neither inquiry bears fruit, call the court with the same question.

If none of that works, your next email to a lawyer better have $$$ in it, though probably best to phone and offer money.

quincy

From the Huntsville Police on release of weapons held as evidence:

https://www.huntsvilleal.gov/residents/public-safety/huntsville-police/records/evidence-release-weapon/

Huntsville Weapon Release Request Form:

https://huntsvilleal.seamlessdocs.com/f/WeaponReleaseRequests

You can read through the information in the links to know what you will need in order to fill out the form and retrieve your firearms - this assuming that after a year the firearms still exist and this assuming that the conditions outlined on the form about marijuana does not cause problems.

You would be smart to call your lawyer to discuss the release you will need from the Court (showing charge dismissal and satisfaction of probation) and to discuss the return of your firearms.

Last edited:

zddoodah

If you were arrested by police, call the local police department's property or evidence office and ask how to get your property back.

If you were arrested by MPs call the base's MP office with the same question.
You could also call the office of the U.S. Attorney who prosecuted the case.

quincy

With a single call, the Huntsville Police Department should be able to direct ThreeBlindCats to the appropriate person/agency holding the weapons.

I think the marijuana conviction could be an issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">