• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I serve a judgment to a business that has a PO BOX listed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What do you mean by serve a judgment — what do you want to achieve here? What kind of entity is the business (corporation, LLC, etc)? And if you sued the business and won a judgment, you should know the location of the business or its registered agent.

TheTreeTeam

I have filed a judgment against the company (it is a LLC) for services not rendered and have paid for a marshal to "serve" them. But the address for the company is a PO Box. How do I serve a PO Box?

Part II: I have a copy of the company's insurance. I was wondering if I could file a judgment against the insurance company for payment on behalf of their client.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I have filed a judgment against the company (it is a LLC) for services not rendered and have paid for a marshal to "serve" them. But the address for the company is a PO Box. How do I serve a PO Box?
If you already have a judgment against the LLC, then how did you serve the summons and complaint to start the lawsuit? You could not have served it at a PO box. Or are you saying that you want do that now to start the lawsuit (to seek the judgment)?

Part II: I have a copy of the company's insurance. I was wondering if I could file a judgment against the insurance company for payment on behalf of their client.
That won't do any good. No insurance is going to cover a simple failure to pay a bill.

quincy

If you need to know who owns the PO Box so you can serve legal papers (e.g., summons and complaint), you can go to the Post Office and fill out a “Request for Change of Address or Boxholder Information Needed for Service of Legal Process” form.

This is similar to filling out a request under the Freedom of Information Act.

Once you have a physical address of the boxholder, you should verify that the owner of the box is actually the party that you want to personally serve.

If attempts at personal service for some reason fail, you can request of the court an alternate means of service.

A summons and complaint, as a note, is what you serve when you start a lawsuit. A judgment is what you are awarded by the court once you win a lawsuit.

FlyingRon

Marshalls/sheriffs usually will serve things, but you need to make them out with the proper (PHYSICAL) address of the person to be served (typically, as mentioned, the registered agent). They don't do your basic research for you.

quincy

bcr229 provided the proper link for businesses. A post office request could be used for individuals with PO Boxes.

FlyingRon

But the results of the PO box request may not be the entity that service is properly made on. If this is a corporation, the person who rented the mailbox may not be the person who needs to be served. It has to be an officer, managing or general agent, or the person designated to receive service.

quincy

But the results of the PO box request may not be the entity that service is properly made on. If this is a corporation, the person who rented the mailbox may not be the person who needs to be served. It has to be an officer, managing or general agent, or the person designated to receive service.
You are absolutely right. The link provided by bcr is what should be used by TheTreeTeam to find the name, address and registered agent for the business.

The PO box information can be used if personal service is needed on an individual who only has a PO box.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">