• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Easy is to Switch Sticker Price Tags

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beasley91

New York - Long Island

This weekend, my boyfriend and I got together with family and friends to celebrate the long 4th of July holiday. Over the break, my boyfriend's brother (age 28, ), introduces the new girl he is dating (age 24). The first day we were out, the girlfriend (lets call her Kate), the boy's mother, and I go for a drive to the local shopping center. We went to T.J. Maxx and I suspect "Kate" switched the price stickers. My question is, how easy is this to do?

At T.J. Maxx, Kate found a dress from the Runway section priced at $120 (marked down from its original price of $400). She said she loves the dress but was not sure if she should spend the money. She walks away to try the dress on. It isn't until I am in the checkout line that I see Kate and my boyfriend's mother checking out, about 5 people ahead of me. I can see the cashier calling another person over (turned out to be the manager) to get a price confirmation because the dress is now marked at $29. The cashier said this dress is $120 but the mother refused the price, and insisted they honor the sticker price, regardless if the pricing was an error. It is not until I catch up with Kate that I learn about the decreased price tag. Kate told me a $29 sticker must of accidentally gotten on the tag in the changing room. And now she was uncomfortable standing outside the store and insisted we walk to car. I want to know how plausible her story is? I spoke to the mother, she said the $29 sticker was placed over the original price. Covering the $120 completely.
Kate did tell the brother (the guy she's dating) the same story she told me. The brother said it is very difficult to remove a price sticker and stores like T.J. Maxx make price mistakes all the time. He believes her.

I dont know this girl, but my naturally trusting nature doesn't feel right with this person. My biggest concern is if this wasn't an accident and she was willing to pull this stunt the first day meeting the mother, that means she has most likely done this before. She even aloud the mother to defend her, accident or no accident, she has made various poor moral decisions. I also suspect she is using the boyfriend because he pays for everything. The brother is convinced a girl as sweet as she could never do such a thing. But master manipulators are also deceptively kind. She has given me more red flags in the first 7 days of meeting ger that I think she is playing the brother and this experience is more than a little accidental tag switching. I am worried this girl is the worst kind of liar.

quincy

The brother is, I assume, an adult? If so, he is old enough to make his own decisions on who to date.

FlyingRon

Both the girls and the mothers are idiots. Prices at TJMaxx are done by barcode, not by "stickers." Their clumsy attempt at retail fraud was easily detected. Mom's hissy fit might have tipped the hand to them reporting the theft to the police.

HRZ

your bf needs a long talk with his brother ...and if brother is not listening then bf needs to distance himself ...this is going downhill...and if brothers brains are operating from below the belt then he is unlikely to listen.

Just Blue

your bf needs a long talk with his brother ...and if brother is not listening then bf needs to distance himself ...this is going downhill...and if brothers brains are operating from below the belt then he is unlikely to listen.
The guy is 28! Of course his brains are operating below the belt! Duh! :p ;)

I disagree about the "long talk"...Brother is likely to just get pissed at brother. Some lessons one needs to learn on ones own. IMHO.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I'd say, if you suspect she's shady, don't shop with her. Stick to hanging at the BBQ or going to the beach. That will minimize the probability that she gets you in trouble.

And definitely don't go to Tanger with her!

beasley91

Thanks for all the advice. I will avoid shopping with her. She mentioned she goes to sample sales a lot. I will now not be joining her.

The mother honestly had no idea and thought Kate was actually wrongly charged. For the entire car ride home I road in silence as they discussed how rude the store was and how dare they. kate’s agreeable attitude made me sick. The mother knows now and feels like a fool. My boyfriend, the other brother, ended up having to tell the mother the truth because some jewelry went missing. It was a false alarm but what my boyfriend thought at the time was a whatever story (the story i told above), he now thought might be more important than originally thought.

Mom doesn’t think it was an accident and the brother thinks she’s too nice to shop lift. I guess time will tell. Heres to many hours of bighting my tongue, as we spend every weekend together at the parents summer home. Hopefully that also means more opportunity to show her true colors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">