• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How often can custody be re-evaulated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

latigo

Serious question: Where is that spelled out in statute? Can you point me to it?
The two-year business comes from O. C. G. A. 19-9-3(b)

The need for showing substantial change in circumstances seems to be the opinion of several law firms specializing in Georgia family law.

Also Georgia is not unique in disallowing successive motions of this nature within a given time frame.

CJane

The need for showing substantial change in circumstances seems to be the opinion of several law firms specializing in Georgia family law.

Also Georgia is not unique in disallowing successive motions of this nature within a given time frame.
Statute says material change, here:

(b) In any case in which a judgment awarding the custody of a child has been entered, on the motion of any party or on the motion of the judge, that portion of the judgment effecting visitation rights between the parties and their child or parenting time may be subject to review and modification or alteration without the necessity of any showing of a change in any material conditions and circumstances of either party or the child, provided that the review and modification or alteration shall not be had more often than once in each two-year period following the date of entry of the judgment. However, this subsection shall not limit or restrict the power of the judge to enter a judgment relating to the custody of a child in any new proceeding based upon a showing of a change in any material conditions or circumstances of a party or the child.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Thank you for pointing me to it. I appreciate it. I hadn't seen it before and was having issues trying to locate it.

DysfunctionalU

Update and new question?

It has been a while and the 30 day period to appeal the judges decision on custody has passed.
Basically there are a few things that have kind of bothered me.
Some snarky comments, sure, but its mostly how my ex handles visitation..
Example: Court order states that my ex should have LO on ex's birthday, which is Halloween. It was on a weekday this year and we have agreed that LO should be back by bed time, which is 8, and so LO is not out quite so late. My ex is off of work around 5-6 and since he lives around an hour away he wouldn't be here to pick up LO until 7 at least. I asked him if he wanted some more time that day or if he wanted to do a day on the weekend instead, so he would have more time with him. He declined and said he would rather just stick to every other weekend.
LO comes home every Sunday dehydrated- and I mean its so bad you can smell it across a room if he pees.
It honestly feels like the charade is up. Are things like this worth documenting? At least to cover myself?
Also on a different note- does anyone have suggestions on how to deal with the transition for the LO? (For those parents/ grandparents with similar arrangements)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It has been a while and the 30 day period to appeal the judges decision on custody has passed.
Basically there are a few things that have kind of bothered me.
Some snarky comments, sure, but its mostly how my ex handles visitation..
Example: Court order states that my ex should have LO on ex's birthday, which is Halloween. It was on a weekday this year and we have agreed that LO should be back by bed time, which is 8, and so LO is not out quite so late. My ex is off of work around 5-6 and since he lives around an hour away he wouldn't be here to pick up LO until 7 at least. I asked him if he wanted some more time that day or if he wanted to do a day on the weekend instead, so he would have more time with him. He declined and said he would rather just stick to every other weekend.
LO comes home every Sunday dehydrated- and I mean its so bad you can smell it across a room if he pees.
It honestly feels like the charade is up. Are things like this worth documenting? At least to cover myself?
Also on a different note- does anyone have suggestions on how to deal with the transition for the LO? (For those parents/ grandparents with similar arrangements)
So what evidence do you have the child is dehydrated? You have taken him to the doctor when he is dehydrated? If not, you have nothing. You have a mother trying to criticize a father. Comes off as bitter. Dad made a decision that worked for him regarding visitation. Why are you criticizing him about it? You can document but documentation you create is worth nothing more than to remind you about it.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Hey there- I've tried to refrain from posting anything about my case while it was on-going but since the initial case is over.. I would like to ask others who have experienced these things.

I was recently awarded sole custody of my two year old. The father has been given every other weekend and a typical visitation- one week winter, three in summer- nonconsecutive, and alternating holidays. I think the only problem I really have with the schedule is that we switch out on Christmas.. but we can probably work on it later. My ex has a wife and a one year old son also and they live with relatives. I currently live with my fiance and we are signing on a new apartment this week (yay! :D ). The final draft of the order is done and both attorneys have agreed on everything in the papers.. which I think is pretty typical. They did not try to appeal the judges decision.
There was roughly a 45 minute difference in where we live... which, from what I understand, the judge would have still considered joint custody but the judges reasoning was that the childs schedule should be disrupted as little as possible and because the father ignored the child for two years. We had a small amount of time to get to overnight visits (a month of 10-6 every saturday) then weekends. On the third weekend I volunteered to help some neighbors clean their house out after a fire so I asked the father if he wanted to have the weekend with him.. so he did. Two nights away from home seems fine with our son.. but the third night is hellfire. Up all night, nightmares when he does sleep, moody, etc. Granted, it was probably too soon for three nights but the father asked me if he could.. I said yes. Our son also does the same thing with his grandfather- who is his favorite person in the world... Our son could pick him from a crowd of a million. I guess he just doesn't like being away from his home? I know this goes away eventually.

My ex is VERY bitter about child support. 90 a week. I told him our son has a dental appointment and his response was literally, "Let me guess. You want me to pay for half of it."... haha, no. Our son has insurance that pays for everything. He knows this. I was only keeping him in the loop because it is still a dr. appointment and if something had to be done (cavities or anything) then he would already know how we found them and understand why. He likes to antagonize and pry at my life- question everything I do... I tell him when our son gets hurt- aside from normal bruised from running and falling. Ex. Playing at the park.. some kids pushed a swing too hard and it hit him. I made sure to let the father know even though it was nothing serious. Our son had a rash and I took him to one of those clinics since it was after 5.. told him about it. I am keeping him informed but it drives me nuts when he prys. He told me I should sit down with him and show him my bank statements. Um... no. He did this our entire relationship for everything. :/ I understand concern for the safety of our child.. but he doesn't need to lecture me on the cost of raising a child- I was a single mom since our child was born.. for two years it was just me. I know what I am doing. :/

Anyway.. I am moving CLOSER to where the father lives- and closer to my sister.. who just had her own baby and I help her out with him. Our son loves his auntie. The father decided to move in with some more of his relatives... which will put us roughly 15-20 minutes apart. I am kind of wondering if this is so he can try for joint custody again. I asked my lawyer and they pretty much said, "The judges here pretty much see it as a 'if it ain't broken don't fix it' kind of thing. If you aren't doing anything wrong.. you have nothing to worry about.".. which I know the first part isn't always true. Court took a huge financial toll on me and my family.. and I really don't want to have to do it again.. not any time soon, anyway. I know a modification of visitation is generally what? Every two years? And from what I have heard they can be put off for a long time?

There are some (not all ) differences in lifestyle that I based my decision on in the custody battle:

Education- I actually do beleive in the school system and are going to school to teach history. Our son is enrolled in a daycare so he can socialize with other children.. and he will be enrolled in an early headstart system, then pre-k and so forth. I firmly beleive that school can teach core values in a childs life and allow him the opportunity to go play football, be in band, go to clubs.. make new friends, etc. My ex's wife is a firm beleive in homeschool and has said that he could go to school the weeks with me and then be homeschooled while with them. Sorry- no go. That just won't fly in the educational system today.. I think five days in a month calls for investigation?
How religion would be handled: I am more of a lax Christian compared to what my ex's wifes family is- hellfire and brimstone. I don't mind him going at all but I think that it will be up to him ultimately to decide.
Family: Close ties with family.
If our son would have his own space: Will he have his own room? Own bed? I don't care if he shares a room but I do feel he should have his own sleeping space.
Discipline: I do one smack on the hand and I talk to our son about it the first time.. second time is a spanking (through his diaper so it doesn't hurt but he gets upset about it) and third time is time-out. Three minutes. Currently my ex doesn't beleive in any form of discipline.

Basically.. they tried to pressure me into joint physical custody of a child they never spent time with during mediation.. and were "surprised I took it to court". I understand fully that the father has a right to his child and that he is entitled to all the time in the world with our son.. And I don't deny him it. If he wants more time with him, he asks and receives. He gets mad when I won't consent to joint physical and still tries to pressure me into it.. And really.. I can't tell if its because he really wants more time with our son.. or if its just money. He still never asks about him. He only filed for joint when I filed for child support.

I don't mean to sound angry or hateful about anything (if I do) and I am sorry if I do. The whole thing is frustrating. Back to the question, though.. How often can he take me to court for custody? What are the chances of the previous judges decision being overturned? How often can he file for a visitation modification and what if the difference? Thank-you. :)
He can take you back to court as often as he wants, unfortunately.

I know this the hard way. My ex takes me back to court and "tattles" on me basically every chance he gets, even though no one ever puts me in my place, as he wants so deperately.

Now I have researched legal/litigation harassment for myself, and there is something you can file with a judge so that your ex has to bring everything up to him, all his evidence, his reasoning, etc and the judge then decides if it's enough to take to court.

Good luck! My legal battle has been going on 5 years now.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
He can take you back to court as often as he wants, unfortunately.

I know this the hard way. My ex takes me back to court and "tattles" on me basically every chance he gets, even though no one ever puts me in my place, as he wants so deperately.

Now I have researched legal/litigation harassment for myself, and there is something you can file with a judge so that your ex has to bring everything up to him, all his evidence, his reasoning, etc and the judge then decides if it's enough to take to court.

Good luck! My legal battle has been going on 5 years now.
No he can't, not in GA and get very far. :cool:

DysfunctionalU

Update :)

Hey there, again!

So its been since August that this arrangement has begun- every other weekend, yada yada yada.

Basically three things have changed: our sons attitude, distance, and the amount of times the father brings him home early or switches weekends.

First: Beforehand there was a 45 minute distance between houses. I moved 15 minutes closer a few months ago into a really nice apartment (LOVE IT) and this weekend he is moving back in with his sick grandmother (with his wife and child, obviously), so now there is a total of 15 minutes of distance between us. It is my understanding that a judge will typically consider a true joint custody arrangement if the parents live within an hour of each other so if the judge thought it reasonable, it could have already happened, am I right? The judges in this current county also happen to be the judges in the previous county, so there's a possibility of getting the same one again.

So question number one: If the distance was ALWAYS less than an hour does it change the outcome? I've heard of parents having joint custody OR the same arrangement we have while living five minutes apart. Also, both the father and stepmother have full time jobs so our son would be at a babysitters most the regular week.

Second: Our son hasn't been handling the transitions too well. When he leaves he is great! Happy to see his daddy, etc. When he comes home (depending on how long hes been away) its a different story.
Normal two night visit: Occasional fits, cries- but not because daddy is leaving.. he even waves and says bye bye. He just gets upset really easy about little things.
Anything over two nights: How he acts there or anywhere he stays overnight: The third night he wakes up a lot and cries, has nightmares. The day following this he is temperamental, throws things, acts out and does things he knows are bad. How he acts here: He came home from Christmas break (early, mind you, and I honestly think it was because our son was acting out ) and started throwing himself against the walls, floor, throwing toys, inconsolable.. It was awful. I've never heard him scream so much! He said bye and waved to his father just like normal... it was about 30 minutes after being home that he started acting like that.
I know theres an adjustment period, but good lord! If he handles every other weekend like this will the entire week hes here in the event we got joint custody be spent just getting him to straighten out?

Third: The father keeps switching weekends and bringing him home early. I mean, really early. He is supposed to be back at 6PM but has been bringing him back around 11AM-12. The weekends switched are always to benefit him but he won't switch a weekend for me. (Someone had a house fire and I was asked to help) Our son had an ear infection at one point and he knew ahead of time but chose to wait until we met up to say he wanted to switch weekends. I don't mind keeping our son at all- I love to. My concern is what will happen when our son is sick at his house? Is he going to send him home? He is doing this again this weekend- our son has the sniffles (literally, just a runny nose) and he doesn't want to be bothered with him.

Sorry for the wall of text. I just honestly do not know what to expect anymore- I plan on keeping my tax return laying around just incase he takes me to court again. I hope it doesn't come to it, though :/

LdiJ

Hey there, again!

So its been since August that this arrangement has begun- every other weekend, yada yada yada.

Basically three things have changed: our sons attitude, distance, and the amount of times the father brings him home early or switches weekends.

First: Beforehand there was a 45 minute distance between houses. I moved 15 minutes closer a few months ago into a really nice apartment (LOVE IT) and this weekend he is moving back in with his sick grandmother (with his wife and child, obviously), so now there is a total of 15 minutes of distance between us. It is my understanding that a judge will typically consider a true joint custody arrangement if the parents live within an hour of each other so if the judge thought it reasonable, it could have already happened, am I right? The judges in this current county also happen to be the judges in the previous county, so there's a possibility of getting the same one again.

So question number one: If the distance was ALWAYS less than an hour does it change the outcome? I've heard of parents having joint custody OR the same arrangement we have while living five minutes apart. Also, both the father and stepmother have full time jobs so our son would be at a babysitters most the regular week.

Second: Our son hasn't been handling the transitions too well. When he leaves he is great! Happy to see his daddy, etc. When he comes home (depending on how long hes been away) its a different story.
Normal two night visit: Occasional fits, cries- but not because daddy is leaving.. he even waves and says bye bye. He just gets upset really easy about little things.
Anything over two nights: How he acts there or anywhere he stays overnight: The third night he wakes up a lot and cries, has nightmares. The day following this he is temperamental, throws things, acts out and does things he knows are bad. How he acts here: He came home from Christmas break (early, mind you, and I honestly think it was because our son was acting out ) and started throwing himself against the walls, floor, throwing toys, inconsolable.. It was awful. I've never heard him scream so much! He said bye and waved to his father just like normal... it was about 30 minutes after being home that he started acting like that.
I know theres an adjustment period, but good lord! If he handles every other weekend like this will the entire week hes here in the event we got joint custody be spent just getting him to straighten out?

Third: The father keeps switching weekends and bringing him home early. I mean, really early. He is supposed to be back at 6PM but has been bringing him back around 11AM-12. The weekends switched are always to benefit him but he won't switch a weekend for me. (Someone had a house fire and I was asked to help) Our son had an ear infection at one point and he knew ahead of time but chose to wait until we met up to say he wanted to switch weekends. I don't mind keeping our son at all- I love to. My concern is what will happen when our son is sick at his house? Is he going to send him home? He is doing this again this weekend- our son has the sniffles (literally, just a runny nose) and he doesn't want to be bothered with him.

Sorry for the wall of text. I just honestly do not know what to expect anymore- I plan on keeping my tax return laying around just incase he takes me to court again. I hope it doesn't come to it, though :/
Do your court orders REQUIRE you to switch weekends with him upon his demand? If no, you do not have to do so. Its his choice not to utilize his parenting time. You are not obligated to give him your parenting time to make up for it.

In any case, you were only 45 minutes away from him and the judge didn't even give him joint legal custody (let alone joint physical) so I really cannot see being closer making any significant difference. I could see him eventually getting joint legal custody (joint decision making) but if you are talking about a 50/50 timeshare, there is very little likelihood that something like that would happen anytime soon.

DysfunctionalU

Do your court orders REQUIRE you to switch weekends with him upon his demand? If no, you do not have to do so. Its his choice not to utilize his parenting time. You are not obligated to give him your parenting time to make up for it.

In any case, you were only 45 minutes away from him and the judge didn't even give him joint legal custody (let alone joint physical) so I really cannot see being closer making any significant difference. I could see him eventually getting joint legal custody (joint decision making) but if you are talking about a 50/50 timeshare, there is very little likelihood that something like that would happen anytime soon.

Really, he got LESS than what I put down in my proposed parenting plan. By a few weeks, really- I offered more vacation time, etc. The judge did a pretty standard visitation schedule. I did offer joint legal custody in my proposition. I have full legal and am PRIMARY (not sure if wording in this matters) physical custody.

Thankyou for the response though. :) My sister has been telling me the same thing about me not being obligated to let him have my time to make up for his. I have been really nice and cooperated with him- its been several times, now, that hes done this. I'm trying to keep things civil and documenting these things as I go.

DysfunctionalU

What would Dad do if you weren't there when he brought kiddo home early?

Honestly I don't know. He usually calls and says "a little while" and shows up like.. 10 minutes later. In any case, if he doesn't want to handle our son then I am glad he brings him back- I'd rather our son be here where I can care for him. Eventually our son is going to start realizing whats going on, though :/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">