• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to Collect a Judgement in Canada

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SallyX

What is the name of your state? Vancouver, BC, Canada.
I was awarded a judgement in the amount of $10,000 US, against a defendant who resides in Vancouver, BC, Canada. This was through the BC Small Claims Court, who found him in default since the defendant never even bothered to reply to the service of the summons. I'm thinking he figured we are 4,000 miles apart, and I won't bother trying to collect. I am located in Florida.
Anyone have experience with judgement collections in that locale? Any suggestions on how to begin? Thank you.

Ladynred

You're going to have to find a lawyer in Vancouver, BC to consult with. You need someone who knows whether or not you can domesticate a US judgment to Canada and what collection remedies you would have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">