• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to dispute late payment for parking violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dleung65

What is the name of your state?New York
I received a notice that I owe a penalty of $30 for a $35 parking ticket because I made a late payment, after 30 days. However, I sent the payment by check 6 days before the deadline. The letter says if I want to dispute it, send a copy of the cancelled check. I sent it November 11 and the bank says it was cashed Nov 26, way after I sent it. How will I dispute this? I know mail gets delivered usually in two to three days. Is it my fault that they take their time processing it? How can I prove that they received it in time? How can I prove anything? For all I know, they do this to everyone, just to penalize them almost 100% of the original value, which is ridiculous by the way.
Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state?New York
I received a notice that I owe a penalty of $30 for a $35 parking ticket because I made a late payment, after 30 days. However, I sent the payment by check 6 days before the deadline. The letter says if I want to dispute it, send a copy of the cancelled check. I sent it November 11 and the bank says it was cashed Nov 26, way after I sent it. How will I dispute this? I know mail gets delivered usually in two to three days. Is it my fault that they take their time processing it? How can I prove that they received it in time? How can I prove anything? For all I know, they do this to everyone, just to penalize them almost 100% of the original value, which is ridiculous by the way.
Thanks.
If you have proof of mailing, then you can submit that. If you don't, then you're sunk.

dleung65

You could have sent it with tracking and delivery confirmation. But that would have cost you several dollars.
I'm willing to bet that even if I did this, they would have made an excuse that I have to build in processing time. They really could just deny me and I wouldn't have a choice. They know that we will just give up.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have a very specific reason for asking this question. When you mailed the payment, did you use a pre-paid, self-addressed envelope that they provided? Or did you write out the address on an envelope of your own, and stamp it?

dleung65

I believe that I used their orange envelope. But those are never prepaid. NYC giving us prepaid envelopes? LOLOLOL
But please explain for future reference.
Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
We use a lot of pre-paid, self-addressed envelopes in my office; at least we used to. We now send them out as we're supposed to, but we advise the people receiving them to pay their own postage. Because of the way those envelopes are sorted at the post office (which is one building down and across the street from us) it can sometimes take as long as three weeks before we receive them, whereas if they stamp and address themselves we get them in a much shorter time. I don't know if it's the pre-payment or the self-addressing that is the problem, but I don't think you have a guarantee that it was received in 2-3 days.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, ideally, you won't have other parking tickets to deal with, but if you do, you said you're using your own postage anyway.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
In the future, if you decide to plead guilty and pay the fine, try to do so within a day or two of receiving the NoV.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">