• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to find a good attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sudofdisk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I need to consult an attorney regarding the custody of my children but I don't know where to begin. Finding them is easy but I have no idea how to evaluate them and with something this important I don't want to make a mistake. Any tips on how to best go about choosing one?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I need to consult an attorney regarding the custody of my children but I don't know where to begin. Finding them is easy but I have no idea how to evaluate them and with something this important I don't want to make a mistake. Any tips on how to best go about choosing one?

Ask friends and relatives.

Ask pertinent questions . Ask about how local judges tend to rule on X, Y or Z issue, how many cases they've successfully litigated, how much communication should you expect (weekly updates? Monthly? only when something happens?).

And make sure you're comfortable. Don't be intimidated; remember YOU are the employer here, and they're working for you. Not the other way around!

You want an attorney who, even if you offer to pay the moon, will not lie to you if you have no chance of getting what you want - you want honesty even if means they lose a client.

I'm sure others will chip in, but that's right off the top of my head. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">