• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to get a semi embrassing YouTube video taken down?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DisabledGeek89

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I have a video rant I went on years ago back in around 2009 or so. I forgot the email I used to register this, its from the pre Gmail account days of YouTube. I want to take it down because its somewhat dumb even if its obscure. Whats the best way to do this? Request the email from Google? Thanks for any help.

quincy

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I have a video rant I went on years ago back in around 2009 or so. I forgot the email I used to register this, its from the pre Gmail account days of YouTube. I want to take it down because its somewhat dumb even if its obscure. Whats the best way to do this? Request the email from Google? Thanks for any help.
You want to take down a video you posted on YouTube?

Although you might find that your email provider can help you, you might have better luck locating friends or family who still have a record of your old email address.

Last edited:

xylene

This is your video, and you own the copyright, correct?

Send YouTube a DMCA takedown notice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I suspect that the OP gave YouTube the license to use it, so a DMCA takedown notice would not be appropriate. I'm not saying it won't work... ;)

quincy

A DMCA takedown notice is designed so a copyright holder can remove copyright-infringed material from its place online. These notices are not an all-purpose remedy for removing objectionable material. In fact, violations of the DMCA can result in civil penalties.

It is possible that contacting the email provider with proof of identity (including a memory of answers to security questions and password) could be enough to recover the address.

xylene

The account, even though it is truly his, is subject to a DMCA notice from him, the copyright holder.

xylene

Though an anecdote, I know people who have removed content from a 'lost' youtube account in this way far more easily than recovering the account.

You do not surrender copyright to google by uploading a video.

quincy

The account, even though it is truly his, is subject to a DMCA notice from him, the copyright holder.
The takedown notice is a notice for copyright holders to use to report copyright infringement. You can find sample notices online.

These notices are filed under penalty of perjury.

DisabledGeek89 also needs proof that s/he is the copyright holder.

DMCA takedown notices admittedly have been used for other purposes (e.g., trademark infringement) but they are for copyright infringement. They are not a legitimate way to remove other legal content from a website.

https://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html#512

Last edited:

xylene

The OP did not forfeit their rights by forgetting their password.

(Assumimg they created the video)

quincy

The OP did not forfeit their rights by forgetting their password.

(Assumimg they created the video)
Oh. I am not saying that DisabledGeek lost the copyright in his/her video. But ownership in the video must be proved.

To access the account with the email, DisabledGeek will need to do some remembering or, easiest maybe, find someone who still has the old email address. Passwords can then be reset.

There are protections in place so that unauthorized people cannot simply access someone else’s account and remove or edit the contents.

xylene

There are protections in place so that unauthorized people cannot simply access someone else’s account and remove or edit the contents.
It's called wen a DCMA is issued a notice will go to the forgotten account

No one will answer or appeal.

This is youtube "law" and n ot abiuise of a DCMA at all.

If the idea that abandoned online content can get taken down with a DCMA bothers you, work to repeal one yet another of President Clinton's botcheed abortions of copyright law.

I hope Sonny Bono is rolling is his grave.

quincy

It's called wen a DCMA is issued a notice will go to the forgotten account

No one will answer or appeal.

This is youtube "law" and n ot abiuise of a DCMA at all.

If the idea that abandoned online content can get taken down with a DCMA bothers you, work to repeal one yet another of President Clinton's botcheed abortions of copyright law.

I hope Sonny Bono is rolling is his grave.
The DMCA takedown notice was an important addition to the Copyright Act, allowing small-time copyright holders an inexpensive way to stop copyright infringement. Prior to this addition to the Act, a copyright holder had no choice but to send demand letters or to file an infringement suit in federal court.

xylene

The DMCA takedown notice was an important addition to the Copyright Act, allowing small-time copyright holders an inexpensive way to stop copyright infringement. Prior to this addition to the Act, a copyright holder had no choice but to send demand letters or to file an infringement suit in federal court.
That was much better. I hate small timers and I hate hate HATE copyright owners.

A better reform would be to abolish copyright as saleable property and to limit copyright to 30 years or the life of the creator, whichever is less. And to not allow corporate interestes to create copyright or hold it perpetually.

I HATE "Creators" and I hate corporations. They can choke on it. They can suck it too.

Bill Clinton did. And I hated him then, and I hate him now.

xylene

If someone uses youtune 'rules' on DCMA to mtake down a video they made, I'm glad

Abusing unjust laws is the way to go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">