• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to get guardianship of my granddaughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jodim42

We live in Streamwood, Illinois (Cook County).
My 23 year old son has an almost 2 year old little girl that my husband and I supported and raised in our home for almost 9 months of her life. My son never married the mother of his daughter. My son has a bad past of being in prison and trouble with the law (Burglary & arson). The mother gave up her parental rights back in August of 2000, because she didn't want to keep the baby anymore. The people who the mother gave the baby to have taken my son to court to try and terminate his parental rights so that they can adopt his daughter. My problem is as the grandmother I want to take full guardianship of my granddaughter until my son settles down and gets his life on track. With no money to hire an attorney I need to find out what I can do before we lose our granddaughter totally. I need to find an attorney that can represent my son/me, so that I can get guardianship of my granddaughter. Can anyone help????

[Edited by Jodim42 on 11-22-2000 at 07:31 PM]

LegalBeagle

Jodim42 said:
My 23 year old son has an almost 2 year old little girl that my husband and I supported and raised in our home for almost 9 months of her life. My son never married the mother of his daughter. My son has a bad past of being in prison and trouble with the law. The mother gave up her parental rights back in August of 2000. The people who the mother gave the baby to have taken my son to court to try and terminate his parental rights so that they can adopt his daughter. My problem is as the grandmother I want to take full guardianship of my granddaughter until my son settles down and gets his life on track. With no money to hire an attorney I need to find out what I can do before we lose our granddaughter totally. Can anyone help????
How did the mother terminate her parental rights ? Did a court order it ?? All your son has to do is refuse to allow the adoption. Unless his crimes are of a child abuse nature or serious neglect, then a court will not force an adoption.

He need to get his life straight now and petition for sole custody of his child. I have no idea what you could do with no money available for an attorney. It will be a serious up hill battle if the child is currently living with these other people.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">