• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to get tenant move all stuff after moving out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tzpow

There were 5 students renting my apartment. A couple told me they moved out on 9/1/18 when I asked for current month rent, so they said they want to break the lease and move out and I said ok but they have to move all the stuff by 9/7 and they agreed. I asked them again to move their stuff before 9/12 and they said ok and still today none of the stuff is moved. I know they don't live there anymore because their roommates have not seen them after 9/1. I try to serve them 3 day notice, but can't see them at all. I am worry that this takes too long and they continue to leave the stuff here for next month or two. Can someone please get me some advice on what I can do to have them move their belongings? I am in San Francisco CA where there is rent control.

thank you

Last edited:

HRZ

You do not know that....if there stuff is still there and you all do not have a mutual surrender then their rights are not extinguished and thier duties to pay are not extinguished either .

CA is hyper tenant friendly...read the law and follow every step to a T

LdiJ

There were 5 students renting my apartment. A couple told me they moved out on 9/1/18 when I asked for current month rent, so they said they want to break the lease and move out and I said ok but they have to move all the stuff by 9/7 and they agreed. I asked them again to move their stuff before 9/12 and they said ok and still today none of the stuff is moved. I know they don't live there anymore because their roommates have not seen them after 9/1. Can someone please get me some advice on what I can do to have them move their belongings? I am in San Francisco CA

thank you
Do the belongings look like stuff they might care about or does it look like the junk they decided not to take with them?

tzpow

Do the belongings look like stuff they might care about or does it look like the junk they decided not to take with them?
Their belonging include books, beds, clothing, computers. They said they want to them, but I have a feeling they use that to occupy the room.

LdiJ

Their belonging include books, beds, clothing, computers. They said they want to them, but I have a feeling they use that to occupy the room.
Well, you could remove the items and store them in a safe manner until you can go through the proper steps. That way you would at least be able to rent the room(s).

tzpow

Assuming that your apartment is also in CA here is the statute that addresses tenant's abandoned property. Follow it to the letter.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=CIV&division=3.&title=5.&part=4.&chapter=5.&article=

Bet you thought being a landlord was easy money. Good luck with that.
Thank you.
They moved out and I don't have their new address. All I have is their cell phone number. So I can't send letter using post mail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">