• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to legally obtain father's info?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zeroond

i only have hotel room numbers and dates that my kid's father and I hooked up at. how can I legally obtain his information so I can file a paternity?
i'm in WA state

Just Blue

i only have hotel room numbers and dates that my kid's father and I hooked up at. how can I legally obtain his information so I can file a paternity?
i'm in WA state
Do you know his name? Where he lives? Why did you only see him at a hotel?

adjusterjack

i'm in WA state
Do you mean you had a one night stand and have no idea who you had it with?

Whoops2u

The easiest way would be to ask the state for help.
https://www.dshs.wa.gov/esa/faq?field_topic_value=childparents#faq-page_1-2
Often the state can help establish parentage for your child if you apply for services with DCS. If DCS accepts your case, DCS will usually refer your case to a county prosecuting attorney. The county prosecutor acts on behalf of your child and cannot represent you in court or give you legal advice. The prosecutor can answer general questions about your parentage case.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The easiest way would be to ask the state for help.
The problem here is that the state is not likely to go out and investigate who this guy was that the mother evidently had the one night stand with. It is probably not set up for that and likely will not want to devote the resources something like this might take. In my experience (in other jurisdictions), the state will help enforce a child support order once the custodial parent has obtained one, and the state will pursue a support order if the father has been identified and the state has spent money on benefits for the kid. But the Mom typically at least needs to have a name of the father and some info to help track him down. Unfortunately I don't see the state playing detective to ferret out the father here without the mother coming up with something more than she has now. It wouldn't hurt for her to contact the state, I just think she ought not get her hopes up much that the state will do much with just the name of the hotel and the date of the hookup.

LdiJ

She did use the plural when mentioning rooms and dates, so maybe she knows a little more than she is saying, since multiple hookups would indicate that some form of communication was used.

Just Blue

She did use the plural when mentioning rooms and dates, so maybe she knows a little more than she is saying, since multiple hookups would indicate that some form of communication was used.
Based on OP posting sounds like a 900# or craigslist was the communication of choice. I could be very wrong, and if so I'm sorry OP, but that is the impression the original post gave me.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
She said that she "only" had dates and hotels, which if literallly true means she didn't have the name of the guy. If she hooked up several times, hopefully she at least has a name. But if the name is very common, that might not be that much better in terms of tracking down the right guy. For her kid's sake, I hope she does have more info on the guy than just dates and hotel names.

xylene

The putative father is off the hook for child support because he was a john or was having casual sex?

Really? :sneaky::cool::rolleyes::confused::(

Just Blue

The putative father is off the hook for child support because he was a john or was having casual sex?

Really? :sneaky::cool::rolleyes::confused::(
Well...If OP doesn't know where the guy is or his name/real name...how is she going to serve him? "John Smith care of Motel8" isn't gonna work.

xylene

Well...If OP doesn't know where the guy is or his name/real name...how is she going to serve him? "John Smith care of Motel8" isn't gonna work.
A few hours of detective legwork, especially if he was paying. Or game him into another date. His regular haunts. People find the nameless all the time. Someone who wants to be nameless is actually suspicious.

I'm not sure how any the criminal and other DNA databases would come into play, but I'm sure her being a sex worker or simply easy wouldn't preclude any of those avenues.

The state's interest in fathers paying child support is one they will take seriously and as typical I disagree with TM's cavalier and libertarian assessment of both the likely and appropriate response of the state's enforcement apparatus.

Child support is not reserved for the asprin between the knees marriage minded set, thankfully.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The state's interest in fathers paying child support is one they will take seriously and as typical I disagree with TM's cavalier and libertarian assessment of both the likely and appropriate response of the state's enforcement apparatus.
My response is ground in practicality, not out of some "libertarian assessment." The reality is that, at least in the states I'm familiar with, the child support system is overloaded and the state does not have enough resources to track down all the guys who they already know about and have court orders to enforce. The expense and time required to find a guy where all the information known is name and dates of hotel hookups isn't something the child support agencies I'm familiar with have the resources to fully investigate. It'd be nice to think they could fully investigate everything like you might see on TV and chase down all kinds of leads to find the father here, but that's just not realistic to expect that to happen. The agency may well want her to come up with more information first. The agency might put more resources into it if the state is the one paying for child benefits, of course, but we have no indication here that that is the case. Even then, the state has only so much in resources and they have to put that where it will do the most good — spend a lot to track down one guy because the mom has almost no information or instead use that money to go after several deadbeat parents they already know about?

It'd be great if they could do everything, but then the public has to be convinced to pony up more taxes for that. And I don't see a big outcry asking for that in many states, do you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">