• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to Move Children to Another State During Divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StrugglingMom78

What is the name of your state? Colorado

My ex-husband and I are in the process of a divorce. My problem at this point is that while we currently live in Colorado, I am looking to move to North Carolina with the kids. My ex has agreed to let me and the kids move, but he is extremely fickle and I want to put something in place as soon as possible.

We have a hearing coming up in a few weeks, but I do not have an attorney. I want to try to get something in writing on record where he states I will be allowed to move to North Carolina within a certain period of time or something along those lines. He is staying here, but we are figuring out a time-sharing plan that will work.

Me moving is a necessity at this point for a number of reasons. In short, I don’t feel safe living in Colorado with all that has gone on. I have family that can help support me in North Carolina, and a better job lined up for me with a family business as soon as I get there.

But anyway, I asked a clerk at the court and they said to finish the divorce first, then put in some kind of motion to move. However, I am afraid he will change his mind by then. Another concern I have is that one of my friends did that same thing, and she is STILL stuck in Colorado. She said after she got that parenting plan in place, it has been an absolute nightmare to try to change it for a relocation. Five years now and she has tried to re-open the case multiple times to no avail. The judge won’t even listen to her from what she says. I cannot end up in that same circumstances here or I will end up homeless or dead.

So, what is the best way to get something on record at this point to ensure he can’t contest it later? What would be the fastest, easiest way to be able to get something into the court to be able to move? Ideally, I would love to be able to even before the divorce is finalized. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

My ex-husband and I are in the process of a divorce. My problem at this point is that while we currently live in Colorado, I am looking to move to North Carolina with the kids. My ex has agreed to let me and the kids move, but he is extremely fickle and I want to put something in place as soon as possible.

We have a hearing coming up in a few weeks, but I do not have an attorney. I want to try to get something in writing on record where he states I will be allowed to move to North Carolina within a certain period of time or something along those lines. He is staying here, but we are figuring out a time-sharing plan that will work.

Me moving is a necessity at this point for a number of reasons. In short, I don’t feel safe living in Colorado with all that has gone on. I have family that can help support me in North Carolina, and a better job lined up for me with a family business as soon as I get there.

But anyway, I asked a clerk at the court and they said to finish the divorce first, then put in some kind of motion to move. However, I am afraid he will change his mind by then. Another concern I have is that one of my friends did that same thing, and she is STILL stuck in Colorado. She said after she got that parenting plan in place, it has been an absolute nightmare to try to change it for a relocation. Five years now and she has tried to re-open the case multiple times to no avail. The judge won’t even listen to her from what she says. I cannot end up in that same circumstances here or I will end up homeless or dead.

So, what is the best way to get something on record at this point to ensure he can’t contest it later? What would be the fastest, easiest way to be able to get something into the court to be able to move? Ideally, I would love to be able to even before the divorce is finalized. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
File a motion to move with the court now. You are not going to get open ended permission to move the children. Be prepared to show how it is best for the children to move cross country so that you can feel safe. Why can't they stay with dad?

LdiJ

You write up something and have him sign it. You then include in your divorce agreement (if you end up agreeing) that he agrees to you moving the children to North Carolina. If you don't end up agreeing you file the appropriate motions to the judge, including the motion that you be allowed to move with the children (the with the children part is important) to North Carolina and use the thing that you had him sign as proof that he previously agreed to it.

Just Blue

What has happened in Colorado to make you feel unsafe?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">