• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to pay restitution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlet

WI - if someone has $100,000 to pay in restitution and does not have the money in full, what happens?

i assume a payment plan...but what else?

garnish wages?
repossess items? car? TV? computer?

Betty

Scarlet said:
WI - if someone has $100,000 to pay in restitution and does not have the money in full, what happens?

garnish wages?
Most people do not have the money to pay the full amount of the restitution in a lump sum. A payment schedule is usually set up - the amount you are required to pay & how often you are required to pay (ie monthly) depends on each individual's finances. They usually try to work with you as long as you cooperate & pay when required. There have been cases where some of the defendants assets have been used to pay toward the restitution.

seniorjudge

Scarlet said:

garnish wages?
Jail.

Scarlet

jail or prison? this person stole over $100,000 worth of stuff and sold it. if they have a clean record, are they less likely to get prison time?

seniorjudge

Scarlet said:
jail or prison? this person stole over $100,000 worth of stuff and sold it. if they have a clean record, are they less likely to get prison time?
If you stole over $100K worth of stuff and sold it, you do not have a clean record.

Scarlet

seniorjudge said:
If you stole over $100K worth of stuff and sold it, you do not have a clean record.
touche:eek:
so does prison time seem inevitable? even if they've never been in caught before? can they be prosecuted for items stolen 5 years ago?

seniorjudge

Scarlet said:
touche:eek:
so does prison time seem inevitable? even if they've never been in caught before? can they be prosecuted for items stolen 5 years ago?
Okay, tell us what you did. Facts and details. I can't answer any more hypothetical questions.

Scarlet

its actually a friend of mind, and none of it hypothetical. they will be getting arrested soon for stealing from the store he used to work at. they then sold it all on ebay. they'd been doing it for the last 5 years. the owners have evidence for the last 5 years. i'm concerned about my friend, so i was curious what might happen. i actually posted this before (the whole scenario), but only had one answer, which was helpful, but i ahd more questions. so i thought i'd break it down and just ask about restitution. so i apologize that i sound difficult. i do appreciate any responses, so thanks :eek:

seniorjudge

Q: so does prison time seem inevitable?

A: Yes, especially since now you've told us this has been going on continuously for five years.

Q: even if they've never been in caught before?

A: See answer above.

Q: can they be prosecuted for items stolen 5 years ago?

A: Yes; if (big word) the statute of limitations on felony stealing was four years (for example) this is a common scheme or plan. That means the stealing has not stopped so the statute of limitations would not (in your very limited fact situation) start running.

Scarlet

Thank you very much :eek: I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
one more...
will they have restitution to pay in addition to prison?

seniorjudge

Scarlet said:
Thank you very much :eek: I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
one more...
will they have restitution to pay in addition to prison?
Well, you have been awfully vague on what you did, but, yeah, there can be restitution and jail in the same sentence (generally speaking).

seniorjudge

Rhett Butler: You're like the thief who isn't the least bit sorry he stole, but is terribly, terribly sorry he's going to jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">