• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to protect Myself

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tallrat

What is the name of your state - Ohio

Ok here goes. I sell Tarantulas and Scorpions online and at Arachnid shows and Reptile shows. I have permits to ship outside of USA but thats not really my concern. My concern is sales in USA to minors.

No tarantula has been know to kill a human but some species will make you wish you were if you were to get bitten and are considered medically significant. Also I have several scorpion species that are known to cause death in Humans. All these tarantulas and scorpions are marked as potentially dangerous and for sale to Adults only. In some states you need permits to have these species but that is buyers concern.

I accept Paypal, Money Orders, Credit Card or personal check (Delivery after check clears)

What is best way to confirm I am shipping to adult only? Should I mark these animals on website as Must Call to Confirm? Since these are all captive born they are legal to sell in USA. Only wild caught are illegal.

I have sold these types of animals at shows or over seas in bulk to zoo's, institutes and known adult breeders but never online with totally unknown buyer and really want to avoid selling to a minor. Most of these species are hard to get to breed in captivity but last 2 years have been very succesful and need to expand my selling base. So far I have only sold these species to known adult breeders in USA.

Any info would be appriciated!

Hot Topic

Since you're already selling tarantulas and scorpions online, don't you think it's a little late to worry about selling to a minor?

You're selling scorpions whose sting is known to be fatal to humans?

You creep me out for reasons besides your interest in crawlies.

Tallrat

Anyone that can read want to help?

I have sold these types of animals at shows or over seas in bulk to zoo's, institutes and known adult breeders but never online with totally unknown buyer and really want to avoid selling to a minor.

Hot Topic Puked out:
You creep me out for reasons besides your interest in crawlies.
Then why bother? If you have no freaking clue then maybe stay away from the topic. People who collect beanie babies creep me out, so what? 98% of what I breed and sell is not dangerous at all. The 2% that can be are endangered or can not be imported from their native country anymore and only captive born can be sold.

Last edited:

JustAPal00

Tallrat, you have the right in America to like whatever you like, and sell whatever you want to sell(as long as it's legal). Sorry I can't answer your question!

racer72

The sale of scorpions is illegal in the state of Washington except to licensed zoos or individuals with permits to house such critters. Before you sell to anyone in Washington, make sure they have the proper permit or license.

Tallrat

The sale of scorpions is illegal in the state of Washington except to licensed zoos or individuals with permits to house such critters. Before you sell to anyone in Washington, make sure they have the proper permit or license.
Thanks for reply, Yes I have info for any states that require those items. Also have import/export licenses for out of country. My main thing is what is best to keep minors from buying of select scorpions and tarantulas that are potentially dangerous. Would saying on site you must call to confirm before buying this animal be sufficient? Thanks again for reply! :)

mike_lee

I would think the purchaser's credit card would serve as proof of age. If you use paypal they must have some way of letting merchants know when they are selling to minors. I would also join Google check out for the same reason.

But the thing is you don't want to do anything that would get you in trouble with the law. But I take it a step further and say don't do anything that attracts attention. Winning in court is a bad solution, never going to court is the best way.

For anything potential dangerous I would let people know they are available but I wouldn't sell them from a shopping cart.

Tallrat

Sounds like good advice Mike. I was thinking on CC only and making people call me and not ordering online. It wont be too much hassle as most of the 3 dozen species are mainly sold to major breeders and institutes and zoo's. Most people buy bulk as shipping is high for single animal unless it's adult. I thank you very much! ;)

WuLabsWuTecH

I don't know how much it protects you, but if they pay by paypal, they technically have to be 18 years of age since pp does not let minors open accounts. How ever, minors have been known to open pp accounts...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">