• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to protect these assets?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Find out how the account is held. If it is, in fact, held with "right of survivorship", then the money is yours. That doesn't mean they won't try to fight for it, but cross that bridge when you come to it. You will need to know what their theory is for getting the money back from you.

adjusterjack

I have always had full access to the account. I guess it would be an "or" type account. I am the only one that can access it at this time. Both of our names are listed on the checks. I believe the account has right of survivorship. I was advised that I could remove my relatives name, but I haven't done so yet.
You guess? You believe? Those are dangerous words. Don't do anything until you know.

quincy

I have always had full access to the account. I guess it would be an "or" type account. I am the only one that can access it at this time. Both of our names are listed on the checks.
You will need to find out what kind of account you actually have. Speak with the bank manager.

pomelo

You will need to find out what kind of account you actually have. Speak with the bank manager.
I'll speak to them next week. It looks like under Florida Statute that right of suvivorship is presumed unless otherwise expressly provided in the contract, agreement, or signature card.

quincy

I'll speak to them next week. It looks like under Florida Statute that right of suvivorship is presumed unless otherwise expressly provided in the contract, agreement, or signature card.
Checking on the account with your bank is good. Until you find out more about the account, it is difficult to determine if the estate has rights to the funds.

If you have the chance to post back on Monday to let us know what happens, we always appreciate updates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">