• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to pursue former employer withholding pay (not last check) due to alleged theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nicole0828

Just reviewed the employee handbook. There's nothing about pay reduction and as you can see zi wasnt made aware of their intentions.

Nicole0828

Since your state does require notification before a reduction, they'd owe you the expected amount, at least as far as salary is concerned. In some states where that is not true, many employers have done this, legally, paid the person for the last pay period ONLY the minimum wage for the hours worked. You need to file that wage claim with the state's department of labor wage and hour division, and can probably get paid a few dollars more. There's no charge to work with them, there's no attorney required, so it'd certainly be worth the time to see if the can be made to pay you this additional money they're trying to cheat you out of for spite from them.
Thank you for taking the time to comment on this. I did file a wage claim form on 8/6. I called yesterday simply because it crossed my mind and I hear that it's still awaiting to be assigned to an investigator. Since leaving, I've begun my own business and thankfully our bellies have been full. I considered cancelling the claim but if nothing is required of me, I may just let it take its course. Maybe that'll be lucky birthday money Thanks again for all the insight! Very grateful for this forum!

HRZ

You may need to fill out a form or two and perhaps even be deposed but not much serious work required on you end to keep a claim alive .

IT reads as if employer got it seriously wrong ....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">