• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to remove spouse from deed on my house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I think a little more information is needed. I paid off the house in 2010 with the inheritance I received after my entire family passed away: that's right, my entire family is dead. I'm talking parents, siblings, aunts, uncles. I only have my 3 children ages 15, 20 and 22. I am 47. I divorced my first husband finalized in 2013. I was able to negotiate keeping this house 100% if I gave up spousal support and took on a large credit card debt. I married this "man" in 2014 and, what with ups and downs in the relationship, I appeased him by adding him to the deed. This "man" came into this relationship with zero, nothing, nada and I accepted that and loved him for who he was. Now it's 1/2 his house from what I'm understanding. I also understand that I cannot just remove him without his consent. And, of course, he would not give consent. I have to live with my decision. I did not foresee things would take a turn when I got sick. He has to live with himself--what kind of man would take 1/2 of a woman's only thing she owns and turn his back on her when she's sick? I'm not dead yet! And the prognosis is not death, but without disease management it could mean death sooner than expected.
"You could buy him out"....really? Who has over $100,000 laying around? Not me. I don't want another mortgage. Could he buy me out? Not likely what with poor to no credit and low wages. So I will leave it up to a judge to decide what he thinks is best, fair, etc. I'd rather cut my losses now rather than jacking up legal fees fighting for this house. Afterall, it's just a possession; my health and happiness is more important. I say, "sell this M***********!" In the end we all reap what we sow anyway.
Your mistake will hopefully teach your children an important lesson: if someone needs "security" and "reassurance" of your love in this way, then they don't really love you.

Love is not paranoid and insecure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">