• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to replace a birth cert without ANY other forms of ID

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hope I'm on the right board....


So my brother in law has been in an assisted care facility for about 3 years. He was in a bad way when he was put in there but is much better now.
His brother FINALLY just went down there and got him. He is currently staying at a motel which we are paying for until we can get him established. We are in Michigan.

And here is the problem. The poor guy has NO valid and current forms of ID. Cannot get a bank account without an ID. Cannot get an ID without a birth cert.
Cannot get a replacement birth cert without valid ID. AND AROUND WE GO!

So.... He was born in Cook County (Chicago) Illinois. We are all now in Michigan. The online means of getting it replaced REQUIRES "valid and current" forms of ID.
HE HAS NONE! His latest drivers license is several years expired, his old work id expired around 2010. This lousy home was SUPPOSE to get him an ID before he left Illinois but they did not. (They are worthless.)
I just googled how to get a replacement birth cert without ANY forms of id and the first site I landed on, some ILLINOIS.gov thing requires a valid ID. Again circles.

So what do we need to do? My guess is literally DRIVE to Chicago and go in person, probably wait all day. (Or save time and start beating our heads against the wall now.)

Any clues?


A phone call is the first order of business Monday morning. That page you sent, well, again, unless it's a child, or the person has been incarcerated, one needs OTHER id. So yea we will have to call. (And likely rot on hold till the end of time. This is Chicago we are talking about. They are useless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential