• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to respond?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mom6399

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Hello all, it's been a while since I was here...

Earlier this year ex's visitation rights were terminated and a restraining order put into place to keep ex from contacting me and kid. I got a text a couple of hours ago from ex saying he is in my city and would like to see kid tomorrow.

I have not responded. The answer is of course, no thank you...and he really should not be contacting me at all...fear the sleeping dog may be stirring again.

Ignore? Reply with a simple "That would be a violation of the court order"? Forward to attorney?

Nervous just knowing he could be watching us...

Thanks.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Hello all, it's been a while since I was here...

Earlier this year ex's visitation rights were terminated and a restraining order put into place to keep ex from contacting me and kid. I got a text a couple of hours ago from ex saying he is in my city and would like to see kid tomorrow.

I have not responded. The answer is of course, no thank you...and he really should not be contacting me at all...fear the sleeping dog may be stirring again.

Ignore? Reply with a simple "That would be a violation of the court order"? Forward to attorney?

Nervous just knowing he could be watching us...

Thanks.
What did your attorney say about it?

mom6399

I did not call my attorney, as it Sunday afternoon.

I did not post my history...but ex has not even laid eyes on the child for almost 6 years. The court found early this year that is was in the best interest of the child for visitation rights to be terminated. Dad did not show up for the hearing, never responded to the courts findings or court order. Judge also put a restraining order for both of us not allowing dad to contact kid or me for a multitude of reasons I will not go into here.

Now almost a year later (since court order), I get a text saying (paraphrasing) he's in town and would like to have lunch with kid.

So 1) If I respond, I am voluntarily allowing him to violate the restraining order...which would hinder future attempts to enforce it, right? 2) If I don't respond, I anticipate multiple attempts at communication or him showing up at my door (against the order). 3) He is in violation of the current orders but is it worth reporting?

I have a rock in my gut just knowing he is in town.

Thanks.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Don't reply. Let the local police officials know that your ex is in town, you have a current and enforceable restraining order, and would they mind sending a extra patrol car or two down your road every so often....

Proserpina

I did not call my attorney, as it Sunday afternoon.

I did not post my history...but ex has not even laid eyes on the child for almost 6 years. The court found early this year that is was in the best interest of the child for visitation rights to be terminated. Dad did not show up for the hearing, never responded to the courts findings or court order. Judge also put a restraining order for both of us not allowing dad to contact kid or me for a multitude of reasons I will not go into here.

Now almost a year later (since court order), I get a text saying (paraphrasing) he's in town and would like to have lunch with kid.

So 1) If I respond, I am voluntarily allowing him to violate the restraining order...which would hinder future attempts to enforce it, right? 2) If I don't respond, I anticipate multiple attempts at communication or him showing up at my door (against the order). 3) He is in violation of the current orders but is it worth reporting?

I have a rock in my gut just knowing he is in town.

Thanks.
Crud..I'm so sorry. I've been thinking it was Monday all day :eek:

And ditto Geekess' post!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">