• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HSA transfer in a divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Correct, my issue has been transferring it from him to me. The HSA trustee has no clue because apparently it is not done very often. My lawyer hasn't dealt with this either and is asking around about it. HSA's have been around long enough that you would think someone has gone through this before. He is not supplying insurance for the kids (he doesn't have a job) so this is to help with that. If I leave it in his name, then he will end up using it for his hospital bills.
I truly am sorry, but its just not that common to divide an HSA when divorcing. How much money are we talking about anyway?

HRZ

Fidelity Investments even has a form for such transfers ...look it up might be a good model ..

Sorry I tried a cut and paste but could not get it to work

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
For once HRZ has a valid suggestion. I'm no big fan of Fidelity but their forms tend to be usable. It might make a reasonable template, at least.

The other possibility is for the trustee to treat it as if the employee had left employment and was rolling the money over to a new account. They should know how to do that, at least.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">