• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

husband forged my name on IRS returns

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Felis Lynx

I hope I am posting this in the correct forum :) what happens is: I recently found out my husband has forged my signature on at least 2 IRS returns in the past and he may have done it again this year :( He then had the money from the returns sent directly from the IRS to an out of state account that is in his name alone. So he never had to sign my name again on the refund check.

my questions are

#1 is what husband did legal? or did he break any federal law by doing this?

#2 what whould happen to either me or my husband should the IRS audit us? I mean can either one of us end up in jail for this?

I would appreciate some help since I have searched all over the web looking for an answer and so far I havent found anything :(

Thanks in advance for any replies

Felis Lynx

T

Taxguy

>>#1 is what husband did legal? <<

No,...its fraud.

>>? I mean can either one of us end up in jail for this?<<

He can if the IRS pursues him from a criminal perspective. Is there something wrong with the Returns as filed ????

F

Felis Lynx

Taxguy

thanks for replying to my note :)

RE "Is there something wrong with the Returns as filed ????":to be honest?? I am not too sure. I mean I know that at the time I had a bank account in the bank that paied some interest. and from what I saw in the returns? that money wasnt mentioned anywhere. then again I must admit I dont understand much about filing taxes. After all up to now I had trusted my husband. So I dont know if one must declare any and all interest from a bank account no matter how little that money is. Or if one must have above X amount of money in interest a year in order to declare it.

If memory serves me right husband had some sort of small job doing computer tech stuff during 99 (tho to be honest it could have been 98 :(). I am not sure exactly what it was :( But I believe he said he got paied in cash tho. I am also not sure how much money he got from it.

One other detail that has been bugging me is re the 1998 taxes: first husband said he wasnt filing them because he lost the papers that one needs to file taxes. He then told me to go to one of the places he worked at that year and to ask for a copy of them (he even wrote the name of the papers I needed to ask). After I got the copies of those papers I gave them to my husband. Some time later tho he said that we wouldnt have to be filing that year. And the way he explained it to me was that the IRS didnt owe us any money and we didnt owe them any money either. so when this happens one doesnt need to file. OK looking back on it I know this sounds pretty lame an excuse. But after looking at the 1999 returns and how much money we got back I wonder if its possible to go from being owed no refund to being owed the amount of the refund we got. After all in 1999 we had the same 4 kids we had the year before. And I just find it a tad confusing that we could go from no money in one year to so much the year after. I thought about asking for copies of the 1998 tax returns to see if "I" and husband filed. But to be honest I am afraid to find out that he was telling the truth about that year and didnt file :( And I wonder if the IRS would then penalize me. After all in order to find out whether I filed I would probably have to call the IRS and give them my social security number. And then if husband is telling the truth and he didnt file I am afraid the IRS will hit me with a bunch of fines. And if husband did file and once again signed my name? then I will be just as hurt too because this means that this was another year he lied to me about it and then kept the whole money to himself :(

I do want to thank you for all your help :) I mean you have no idea how long I been searching for the answer to this problem all over the web. and so far I came up empty handed :(

Felis Lynx

PS I know some people will read this note and wonder how I could be such an idiot. Looking back on it? I wonder the same thing :(

F

Felis Lynx

Jeter

I know that if there was a prize award for stupid people I would have won it pretty easy :( And yes! some people will say I was dumb in trusting my husband :( I know that all now. What I am trying to do now is find as much as I can without ending up in jail as a result of something I didnt even do

K

kaloway

first and foremost you did nothing wrong... you can teach the world everything nut if they refuse to follow the rules theres nothing you can do about it till after its done..
your husband forged your signature...
that is a federal offense because its a federal document and they will go after him for that...
as far as the tax returns are concerned, they arent yours because you never signed them..
As for the money your husband received in out of state accounts, the irs will go after that money...
what i suggest is file your tax returns that you never filed... file them by yourself (without your husband married filing seperate) contact the IRS 1800-829-1040 and request to submit a criminal investigation complaint they will check into the returns and if its shown that he forged the signature he's in a world of trouble..

F

Felis Lynx

kaloway

thanks for your reply to my note :) and for the suggestions you made.

I am glad to know I am not legally responsible since the idea of ending up in jail didnt really appeal to me

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">