• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband in constant pain, Cannabis?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arkera

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My husband was in the military and has a 2% disability ascribed to him because he screwed up his feet and back (to some extent) by jumping out of aircraft during his service. For this, he goes to the VA.

After the service, he had a job at a utility company and was working in some (in retrospect) unsafe conditions, and managed to fall off a roof (six-ish years ago), permanently destroying a couple of his lumbar vertebrae. For this, he has to deal with Workers Comp.

Between the VA and WC, my husband is being bounced around for any kind of treatment, imaging, and medications. He's been prescribed Norco and Valium (and a bunch of anti-depressants and other valium-esque drugs) but when the Norco stopped working effectively, he was switched to something stronger (name eludes me at the moment). Now all his Rxs are being held up between the pain clinic, WC and the VA. He's requested physical therapy numerous times and it keeps getting denied as well. Nothing is coming through and it's hell watching my husband unable to move from pain and spasms, etc. etc. I can't imagine what life is from his perspective. I thought that he could be seen through *my* insurance and finally get some real care, but once they realize that it's WC-related or VA-related, they won't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Everyone around me suggests that cannabis might be an alternative that would take him off all the narcotics and anti-depressants. It would be something that we could grow, or at least buy, when he needs it and doesn't have to be subject to this back and forth for weeks while he waits in misery for a heavily controlled narcotic Rx to be filled. However, he's concerned that the VA would stop helping him, record him as a druggie and treat him accordingly.

Is there a way to utilize cannabis while staying legal and above-board with a federal agency (the VA) and not have that be a negative to him in the long run in regards to care and his never-ending disability case? Or is touching the stuff a gigantic no-no if he wants anyone to take him seriously?

Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">