• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband wanting to adopt kids. Do we need a lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hisbabygirl77

What is the name of your state?

My husband and I want him to adopt my 3 kids from a previous marriage. My ex husband is in complete agreement with this as he knows that my husband adores our kids and will be a wonderful father to them. My ex husband said just give him the papers and he will sign which I know he will as we are still good friends. He is just not the daddy type and he realizes this. My question is Can we do this ourselves since it isnt contested or do we still need to have a lawyer? I appreciate any help. Thank you! :)

LdiJ

Hisbabygirl77 said:
What is the name of your state?

My husband and I want him to adopt my 3 kids from a previous marriage. My ex husband is in complete agreement with this as he knows that my husband adores our kids and will be a wonderful father to them. My ex husband said just give him the papers and he will sign which I know he will as we are still good friends. He is just not the daddy type and he realizes this. My question is Can we do this ourselves since it isnt contested or do we still need to have a lawyer? I appreciate any help. Thank you! :)
I always think its safer with an adoption to have an attorney. Since its completely uncontested the cost shouldn't be too high. If you decide to represent yourself...consider seeing if there is an attorney who would just to the paperwork for you...and then represent yourselves in court.

Hisbabygirl77

Oh I didnt realize we could have a lawyer just do the papers thank you for the advice. Also I was wondering my ex husband owes about 10 thousand in arrears for child support and I dont want him to have to be burdened with this in the future Is there anyway that I can get that voided? I have never recieved any kind of state assistance so noone besides me is owed the money. And no I have not used this to "buy" the kids from my ex husband ( I have read some of the other post :p ) I have not even spoken to my ex husband about trying to get those arrears voided. He out of love for the kids is giving them a chance at a good daddy and I out of love for him would like to help him out so he no longers has to keep worrying about this so he can go on with his life. If there is no chance of making the arrears go away I dont even want to mention it to him and disappoint him.

LdiJ

Hisbabygirl77 said:
Oh I didnt realize we could have a lawyer just do the papers thank you for the advice. Also I was wondering my ex husband owes about 10 thousand in arrears for child support and I dont want him to have to be burdened with this in the future Is there anyway that I can get that voided? I have never recieved any kind of state assistance so noone besides me is owed the money. And no I have not used this to "buy" the kids from my ex husband ( I have read some of the other post :p ) I have not even spoken to my ex husband about trying to get those arrears voided. He out of love for the kids is giving them a chance at a good daddy and I out of love for him would like to help him out so he no longers has to keep worrying about this so he can go on with his life. If there is no chance of making the arrears go away I dont even want to mention it to him and disappoint him.
Yes, you can waive the arrearages. That would need to be included in the paperwork so be sure to mention it to the attorney.

Hisbabygirl77

Thank you your answers have been very helpful. Just a quick note....... for divorced couples out there instead of allowing yourself to get bitter about what went wrong in your marriage and what you dont like about your ex try and step back and see things from the others point of view. If you do you might be amazed by what you see. Some people are trying so hard to do the "right" thing they dont realize that what they are doing is completely wrong. If your ex isnt in your childs life maybe them being abset is what is best for the child. Maybe they realize that and are trying to allow the children to have peace instead of tormoil by by having someone in there lives who cant be a good parent. On the other note if your ex is fighting for visitation well why do they have to fight! They want to be a part of there childs life! How many fatherless/motherless kids out there would give there right arm to have someone fight to be there for them. Always put your kids first and surround them with people who love them who cares what your differences with that person is. The best gift you can give your child is to be loved by as many people as possible. So dont deny them fathers, mothers, grandparents, aunts and uncles or even people who just want to lavish them with love. Your unselfishness could be the greatest thing you could give your kids.

Hisbabygirl77

update

Hi I just wanted to up date on this thread. My childrens adoption went through about 3 months ago and they are happe to now call my husband daddy and mean it legally. Lol they still get some weird looks when the insist he really is there daddy (interracial marriage) and some yeah rights but they know he really is legally theirs. Your advice was right on and we definitely needed a lawyer It was way to confusing and risky to do it on her own. Thank you everyone for your help and God Bless

Hisbabygirl77

Thank you I appreciate it. It still amazes me how simple something like them writing his now theirs last name on their school papers thrills them lol

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">