• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I accidently junked a vehicle with the license plate still on it in PA.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Let me start by saying that I know this situation is entirely my fault. I'm located in PA. I've contacted the DMV after receiving a letter in the mail concerning a lapsed insurance on this junked vehicle. The PA DMV suggested I send a notarized letter stating I wished to cancel the plate and registration, but also stated that it's not a big deal since I no longer have the vehicle or plate(I can't remember the exact phrasing, sorry). I ended up calling my local tag place since I've used them in the past and they suggested sending in an MV141 form. I sent in the MV141 form and waited. I later received a registration suspension notice in the mail concerning this vehicle. I guess I didn't fill it out corrwctly or it didn't reach them. I contacted the PA DMV again and they suggested I send a notarized letter. I wrote the letter with the needed information and had it notarized. I sent the letter. I contacted them after a month goes by and they tell me they didn't receive the letter. They are now suggesting I send another notarized letter with tracking information to make sure the letter makes it to them.

So that's where I'm at right now. I'm pretty sure the registration for that vehicle I no longer have is starting the 3 month suspension soon if it hasn't already. I'm very frustrated with myself and the dmv. I can't even find any information about my exact situation on the pa dmv website. Do any of you know what the consequences are for simply letting the suspension finish? They did mention that nothing should happen to my license or registration for my other vehicle. Should I send another letter? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

xylene

Go to the DMV.

Bring the needed notarized letter and the forms.
Hand them to them. Have them review them and accept them or tell them what you are not filling out correctly.
If needed correct anything either with a new form or adjust and initial the form.
Submit the correct and verified forms.
Ask (insist) they give you a receipt for the acceptance of these items.
Ideally see if they can process everything while you are there, and get a receipt for that.

Save your receipts in a save place.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You've had DMV suggest twice to send a notarized letter. That was and is a piece of good advice.
He's done so and they claim they never received it. That is why an in-person visit is key, as I suggested and also xylene suggested along with practical tips.

PayrollHRGuy

I don't disagree that an in-person visit is a good idea. But if it is really a hardship a tracked letter will do the job. Certainly better than going to a Tags Place.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't disagree that an in-person visit is a good idea. But if it is really a hardship a tracked letter will do the job. Certainly better than going to a Tags Place.
I disagree - even if he can prove that a piece of mail got there, he can't prove what that piece of mail was. Based on the apparent ineptitude of the DMV, OP needs to go in person and needs to get a receipt that specifies what was received. If the OP wants to fix this, the OP needs to dedicate a little bit of time to it.

PayrollHRGuy

80 times out of 100 it will. I'd bet the OP put the wrong address on the original.

The only reason I didn't agree 100% with you is the fact that OP seems to want to be bothered to go to the TMV.

pac72

if penndot issued the registration suspension , the suspension credit time wont start until they receive the license plate,. and then theres also a restoration fee also involved in the process. since the plates no longer in your possession you cant send it in..so id pretty much consider it cancelled. unless you manage to locate it and gain possession of it to turn it in.
sometimes the salvage yards remove the plates when they get the cars into their yard. there is no requirement for them to safeguard your license plate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">