• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am in hot water need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Krucifikkz

Its not like I Am looking for a bigger refund. I just want this all to be over with. :(

I keep wondering why I ever got married in the first place. IT aint hardly worth it.:rolleyes:

Krucifikkz

Okay I am on TaxAct and I went through the computer and changed the information just to SEE what it looks like refund wise...(no im not going to file again I see how to do the amend differently) But TaxAct has a refund calculator and its no more or less when filing joint. So I will be unaffected by the change and will not owe which is a good thing.

So when i amend i file injured spouse and its all good?:eek:

OHRoadwarrior

Extra credit for hubby must not have made difference due to your income being low. Carry on...
MAKE SURE HUBBY SIGNS to prevent any further issues.

Krucifikkz

He said he will sign if it will keep my butt out of the fire.

Now here's the new problem. I need to continue to receive loans and grants but according to Tax Act's website it takes up to 6 months for the return to be amended? Is there a way to prove to my school that I amended my return?

OHRoadwarrior

I would call them and ask what will make them happy. They may want you to have it filed by a provider or just accept a signed copy of the amended return. They may accept a copy of Tax Acts software indicating the amended return. Make sure they know you only amended to please them, NOT because you filed with the wrong status. Remember, if hubby had not come back, they would have needed to accept current status.

davew128

I would call them and ask what will make them happy. They may want you to have it filed by a provider or just accept a signed copy of the amended return.
I have no idea what you are talking about. There is no such thing as having an amended return filed by a provider. If you are referring to e-file, you cannot e-file an amended individual return.

LdiJ

He said he will sign if it will keep my butt out of the fire.

Now here's the new problem. I need to continue to receive loans and grants but according to Tax Act's website it takes up to 6 months for the return to be amended? Is there a way to prove to my school that I amended my return?
Every school I have ever encountered accepts a signed paper copy.

OHRoadwarrior

I have no idea what you are talking about. There is no such thing as having an amended return filed by a provider. If you are referring to e-file, you cannot e-file an amended individual return.
LdiJ, you have just been ruled non-existent. Are you still on the planet? :)

davew128

LdiJ, you have just been ruled non-existent. Are you still on the planet? :)
Let me repeat myself. Amended individual returns cannot be e-filed. Therefore any amended individual return is filed by the TAXPAYER not tax PREPARER. There are taxpayers, tax return preparers, and e-file providers. As such there is no such thing as a return provider.

LdiJ

provider

Definition

A person, organization or business that offers a good or service.
Oh for goodness sake...

If I prepare a return that cannot be electronically filed (amended returns, prior year returns) then I hand it to the taxpayer to mail to the IRS.

If you really HAVE been preparing returns for 20 years, as you have stated, then you would know that...OR, you would know the verbage well enough to understand what Dave (another tax professional) is talking about.

davew128

Oh for goodness sake...

If I prepare a return that cannot be electronically filed (amended returns, prior year returns) then I hand it to the taxpayer to mail to the IRS.

If you really HAVE been preparing returns for 20 years, as you have stated, then you would know that...OR, you would know the verbage well enough to understand what Dave (another tax professional) is talking about.
Not to mention that there are tax return preparers who are not e-file providers and is the OP is using TaxAct, that company would in all instances be an e-file provider and NOT a tax return preparer.

Back to the OP's problem, it sounds like the college has anal retentive employees. There is no possible way for the OP to demonstrate that she met the criteria for HOH status to the school's satisfaction. It requires proving a negative: that the husband did not live there when he did not have a separate residence in his own name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">