• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am renting an appartment, what to ask

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annie128

I am from NJ and want to know what questions and what kind of info I can ask about potential renters. Is there somewhere I can find out my right as a landlord. Can I ask how much they make and get credit referances?? Thanks for any advise.

also, Would the total of rent recieved be considered income on my part, the whole amount?

Ann

M

monymoney

If you are an owner occupied home you have much more leeway in who lives in your place, then if it was just a rental unit.

Such as you can "discriminate" against kids if you rent the 2nd floor and its all hardwood floors, and you live downstairs. But not if you have a rental tenat downstairs...ohh i can see the problems now!!!

Cvillecpm

Disregard MoneyMoney....there are several loopholes with renting; however, most states have closed the "no kids" loophold.

You need the NOLO PRESS book for landlords and you need to be asking loads of questions on the Q&A section of www.mrlandlord.com

With your state, other landlords will respond to your specific questions and give you valuable "how to" information.

annie128

Thank you both so much for the help, went to mr landlord (great site) and looks like I got a lot to look into by the weekend.

Best to all
Ann

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">