• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I CHASED AFTER A HIT AND RUN BY THE VICTIM BUT NEVER MENTION IN POLICE REPORT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jb6xxx3

What is the name of your state?California

I stole a item from home depot in california and ran out of the store with the merchandise then i got in my van and drove off out of no where i had a truck cut infront of me and slam his brakes to a ded stop. I hit him thinking the cops were on me from the theft at home depot i decided to take off from the scene (hit and run )

The truck i had collided with diver chased me for a couple miles i ran a few stop signs he keept right up with me we were going through a residental area and there was a truck coming toward me in the other lane out of nowhere he decides to turn infront of me causing me to crash into the rear end of his truckat that point the van i was driving is disabled and will no longer run i start to smell gas and jump out of the van tink its going to blow the first truck is there and seems like its charging right at me as if he was going to run me over so i run a little less then 100 ft because i thought the guys was going to hit me and then he starts to yell stop running sit down and crosss your legs

I sat down and the police arrived five minutes later after the fire dept and parametics i was arrested and charged with pc459.5 shoplifting and vc 20002 (a) hit and run prop damage and vc 20001 (a) hit and run bodily injury i was in jail for 2 days and the morning of the my court date for arraignment i was cite released and given a court for 3 months out i found that a little wierd with the felony hit and run Charge but i am not a expert

I was just ending my work day and was in a company van i totaled the van i had to go face my boss once i was out of jail they had the police report and it did not mention anything about the first vehicle chasing me and said i was travling 65 mph when i collided with the 2nd truck

i believe the person in the first truck was a loss prevention or some type of store security if he was just a civilian he would not of chased me the way he did the way i was trying to get away it was not somthing a person trying to get my info after there vehicle was hit would of put them self through if it was just over his vehicle being rear ended and WHY the whole chase was not mentioned in the police report i think is funny as well as me being cite released after the felony hit and run charge im not sure if that is normal that is why i am asking

In the report its said i was going 65 mph when i hit the 2nd truck that had turned infront of me see the police never chased me at all the police asked me how fast did i think i was going i told him i didnt know i was paying attention to my rear view mirror trying to get away from the first truck i had hit the officer told me that the driver of truck 1 said he was doing 55 mph and i was stil pulling away from him so did 65mph sound right to me i said i dont know i wasnt watching my speed just my rear view mirror but the report stated i was doing 65

Then that make me think if i wasnt being chased and the cops showed up after it was all done then who recorded my speed if i wasnt being chased

Mt question is can i fight it

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state?California

[My] question is can i fight it
Fight what? You were charged with two offenses, shoplifting (which you admit you did) and hit and run (which you also admit you did). Nothing in your post suggests a defense to those charges. I am particularly at a loss as to your focus on the speed you were going. You don’t say you were charged with speeding, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you think that might help you with the charges you face. Perhaps other facts involved here that you didn’t mention would give you a good defense, but you'll need to meet with a criminal defense lawyer to sort out your strategy in dealing with the charges you face. You may also need a civil litigation attorney if you get sued for the damages you caused in that accident.

I think it is fair to stay that your decision to steal turned out very badly for you. Hopefully you won’t be tempted to try stealing again in the future.

jb6xxx3

I realize i made a huge mistake believe me i am not ignoring my faults. Maybe i did not write it out clear on my post i want to know why the first vehicle was not mentioned in the report or him chasing me after i hit him see i was told he could be held liable for the 2nd collision because he was chasing me that is the reason i mention the MPH stated in the police report because if he was not chasing behind me and neither were the cops then who record how fast i was going when i collided with vehicle 2

jb6xxx3

i think the driver of the first vehicle did not mention his role because he knew he was in the wrong as well and seen the severity of the 2nd crash

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Tell me, just exactly how do you think mentioning the first vehicle would in any way benefit you or mitigate what you did?

jb6xxx3

Yes i do realize that i made a huge mistake but do you realize i am here looking for legal advice for the mistakes i have made and not judged by you ill save that for the court thank you for your great advice maybe you should change this sites information because advice is not what i am getting

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The problem is that I cannot help you without more information. You still have not explained why you think the speed issue might make a defense for a charge of shoplifting or for hit and run. How fast you were going is not relevant to either of those charges. The first guy you hit and then ran away form chased you. His chase of you does not help you with either charge. You had already hit him and took off when he started to chase you, so the hit and run was already committed. His chase of you didn’t affect that. Nor does the speed at which you were traveling when you hit the second car affect that. The hit and run damaged the first guy’s vehicle, and apparently caused an injury as well. Again, his chase of you would not impact the hit and run charge from that first accident.

But as I said earlier, perhaps other facts you didn’t mention might give you a defense to one or more of these charges. You really need to see an attorney to sort this out. Even if you don't have a great defense, perhaps the attorney can work something out that will at least minimize the consequences for you. At the very least, though, I suspect you'll end up paying a lot here for the damages caused out of all this.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Yes i do realize that i made a huge mistake but do you realize i am here looking for legal advice for the mistakes i have made and not judged by you ill save that for the court thank you for your great advice maybe you should change this sites information because advice is not what i am getting
Assuming you're not a troll (and the jury is still out on that), you need to understand that a mistake is wearing one navy blue sock and one black sock. What you did was willfully steal. So don't try the "I made a mistake" ploy.

And if you don't like the advice you've been given, feel free to pay an attorney.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Truck number one was not mentioned in the police report because the actions of truck number one are totally irrelevant to your actions.

You're welcome.

CdwJava

None of the offenses listed have anything at all to do with speed. PC 459.5, VC 20002 and VC 20001 are not at all speed related. So, your focus on the speed issue is entirely moot. Hire that criminal defense attorney ASAP because VC 20001 can be charged as a felony ... you are darn lucky you were not booked on it.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
truck # 1 actions from our incident his chasing me caused me to hit truck # 2
No, his chase did not cause you to speed or to hit truck #2. Your own driving did that. You made a choice to drive as you did to try to escape the guy chasing you after you wrongly fled a hit and run accident. Had you simply driven properly it would not have been a problem, and being chased in this circumstance does not excuse your own negligence in driving.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">