• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I know you're sick of me but....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deanie-t

Annie isn't talking.....

BelizeBreeze said:
Annie needs to find out how title was held in the community property BEFORE any negotiations proceed. If the house was not JTROS or the auto was titled in MOM AND dad's name instead of "OR" then there are problems that a probate attorney will help you to unravel.
Annie hasn't spoken to any of the beneficiaries (sisters) since our mother died in October 2003. Since then, the beneficiaries have had to petition to court to compel her to account, then we filed our objections to the accounting, then the court rejected and refused to file the accounting, and now we're going to mediation (per Annie). That's where we're at right now, regading our mother's Trust.

I hate to sound so stupid about this - obviously, probate should have been opened (in 1993 when my father died) as his car and bank accounts were in his name only - and these are things that should have been probated. I am still unsure as to how the properties were titled at time of father's death - I've emailed Annie about this and natrually, she's ignoring me. In any event - here are some questions..

1) By law, is Annie now required to open probate for our father's 1993 death / estate? If she doesn't, can Susie Q? In any event - who, exactly, is (was) responsible to probate father's estate?

2) How will this impact our mother's 1995 Trust? California Succession rules (thanks Senior Judge) are in opposition to our mother's Trust.

Thanks!

BelizeBreeze

deanie-t said:
1) By law, is Annie now required to open probate for our father's 1993 death / estate? If she doesn't, can Susie Q? In any event - who, exactly, is (was) responsible to probate father's estate?
No, ANYONE can open pop's probate.
deanie-t said:
2) How will this impact our mother's 1995 Trust? California Succession rules (thanks Senior Judge) are in opposition to our mother's Trust.
Thanks!
No one could tell you that with any certainty but it could very well invalidate the trust.

deanie-t

You are the best (Belize Breeze)

BelizeBreeze said:
No, ANYONE can open pop's probate.

No one could tell you that with any certainty but it could very well invalidate the trust.
Thanks for everything - you have no idea how much I appreciate your advice and wisdom (you too, Senior Judge).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">