• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I may have reached out to the wrong person at the property management company in Upstate New York where I live. . Question. Thanks.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I wrote the VP of Property Management about a situation where I rent an apartment that is not safe. The building manager did not address the matter so I called the home office to ask what would be the next step. The friendly company secretary who answers the phone told me the name of the VP of Property Management and recommended him. I did write him a polite letter outlining the situation and have not heard back from him. It's only been 3 weeks and I understand he has many responsibilities and my concern is not a priority. That's fine, I can wait. However, I recently looked at the property management company website and there is a Director of Property Management. I am wondering now if I should have reached out to this person first (and then if necessary go to the VP of Property Management). I am wondering if I should wait to hear from the VP of Property Management or reach out to the Director of Property Management and explain I may have written the wrong person and ask if the Director directly if he is correct person to be in touch with. Any thoughts? This is very embarrassing. Thank you.

Just Blue

I wrote the VP of Property Management about a situation where I rent an apartment that is not safe. The building manager did not address the matter so I called the home office to ask what would be the next step. The friendly company secretary who answers the phone told me the name of the VP of Property Management and recommended him. I did write him a polite letter outlining the situation and have not heard back from him. It's only been 3 weeks and I understand he has many responsibilities and my concern is not a priority. That's fine, I can wait. However, I recently looked at the property management company website and there is a Director of Property Management. I am wondering now if I should have reached out to this person first (and then if necessary go to the VP of Property Management). I am wondering if I should wait to hear from the VP of Property Management or reach out to the Director of Property Management and explain I may have written the wrong person and ask if the Director directly if he is correct person to be in touch with. Any thoughts? This is very embarrassing. Thank you.
What state?

quincy

You can contact the Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) to report a property management company for failure to address a serious safety issue in a timely manner. Outside of New York City (upstate New York), you would call 212-NEWYORK (212-639-9675).

You can contact the Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) to report a property management company for failure to address a serious safety issue in a timely manner. Outside of New York City (upstate New York), you would call 212-NEWYORK (212-639-9675).
Thank you Quincy!

quincy

It might be important to note that a property manager/landlord cannot simply kick out a tenant who has a valid lease. If the tenant commits a crime, the crime needs to be reported to the police and the police need to investigate, arrest the person if an arrest is necessary, and then charge the person - who potentially can be released prior to trial on the charges.

I hope the 70-year-old or any one of the other tenants who witnessed the assault called for police assistance.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
A tenant physically assaulted at 70 year old woman in the hallway of the apartment complex because she refused to go their apartment to visit.
Did anyone call 911? Was a police report filed?

In alleging that a tenant's behavior is creating an unsafe environment, one needs some sort of evidence. I would feel uncomfortable using a hallway while an assault was transpiring. I am not above retreating and contacting 911 or the local police directly in similarly problematic situations. (I only called the local police when I lived in a small town.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">