• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I moved out late does the LL have right to charge me for the whole month?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

k23h9723

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I was renting this house for 6 months then month to month after that. I gave 20 days notice in Aug. notifying the LL that I am moving out on Sep.1. However, I was not able to move out on Sep.1 due to the moving arrangement. I told the LL on Aug. 29 that I needed more time. I moved out completely on Sep. 5. Now the LL is charging me the whole month rent for Sep. Can he do that? :confused: BTW, the LL lives out of state and he claimed that he bought airline ticket on 9/1 to come back to meet with me to do move out inspection. But due to my moving out late, he has to forfeit the ticket and buy another one when I moved out, therefore he is charging me the ticket as well...

Last edited:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I was renting this house for 6 months then month to month after that. I gave 20 days notice in Aug. notifying the LL that I am moving out on Sep.1. However, I was not able to move out on Sep.1 due to the moving arrangement. I told the LL on Aug. 29 that I needed more time. I moved out completely on Sep. 5. Now the LL is charging me the whole month rent for Sep. Can he do that? :confused: BTW, the LL lives out of state and he claimed that he bought airline ticket on 9/1 to come back to meet with me to do move out inspection. But due to my moving out late, he has to forfeit the ticket and buy another one when I moved out, therefore he is charging me the ticket as well...
You owe him since you did not move out in time

RCW 59.18.310(1).

k23h9723

Had you moved out on time, he would not have damages. Think of it that way.

If you intend on paying him out of your pocket, insist on documentation of the damages.
Like his expired airline ticket? He also claims that there are damages to the properties and is threaten to sue me for it. I am a single mother ... We lived there for 10 months, isn't there any normal wear and tear that I am allowed to?:confused: Thanks for your advice.

Antigone*

Like his expired airline ticket? He also claims that there are damages to the properties and is threaten to sue me for it. I am a single mother ... We lived there for 10 months, isn't there any normal wear and tear that I am allowed to?:confused: Thanks for your advice.
Not for only living there 10 months.

xylene

You obviously owe for the whole month, unless you have a written agreement requiring him to accept pro-rarted rent. Of course you do not.

You DO NOT owe for his airplane ticket. No way. That is his own stupid problem.

Would you owe him for gas if he live 20 miles away? NO.

Him living too far away to properly manage his apartment is his problem.

tranquility

You DO NOT owe for his airplane ticket. No way. That is his own stupid problem.
Unless, of course, the landlord reasonably relied on the OPs words and that reliance caused him damages.

It wouldn't be a landlord/tenant thing, just a quasi-contractual thing.

FarmerJ

LL transportation expenses NO LLs choice to live where they do , nothing to do with you. Whole month not unless LL re rented the unit right away and had a new customer in to pay for a partial month then you would owe for the days you overstayed + the time between, your living in the unit after you were supposed to get out may have cost the LL a already lined up tenant that was all set to move in LL would have had to let that new one out of any agreement they had.

xylene

Unless, of course, the landlord reasonably relied on the OPs words and that reliance caused him damages.

It wouldn't be a landlord/tenant thing, just a quasi-contractual thing.
The landlord's routine cost of how he chooses to be doing business is not damages.

The tenant was 4 days holdover.

The tenant does not owe for the flight since move out was 4 days late any more than they would have if the move out was on time.

tranquility

The tenant does not owe for the flight since move out was 4 days late any more than they would have if the move out was on time.
I agree the tenant does not owe for the flight. What he may owe for are the damages from him failing to do what he said when the landlord reasonably relied on it. Flying out serves no purpose if there is not going to be a final walkthrough. The unused ticket is the damages, not the flight.

Say landlord wanted to fix the widgets in the fromologater. Fromologater widgets are quite complex and the people who fix them are expensive. Just coming out can cost thousands, even if there is no fromologater fixin' goin' on. Landlord sets up time with tenant to enter premises and the tenant agrees.

On the agreed day and time, fromologater fixer (FF) comes to property. Tenant says, I changed my mind, go away. FF leaves and bills landlord for call.

Can landlord successfully sue tenant?

CSO286

I agree the tenant does not owe for the flight. What he may owe for are the damages from him failing to do what he said when the landlord reasonably relied on it. Flying out serves no purpose if there is not going to be a final walkthrough. The unused ticket is the damages, not the flight.

Say landlord wanted to fix the widgets in the fromologater. Fromologater widgets are quite complex and the people who fix them are expensive. Just coming out can cost thousands, even if there is no fromologater fixin' goin' on. Landlord sets up time with tenant to enter premises and the tenant agrees.

On the agreed day and time, fromologater fixer (FF) comes to property. Tenant says, I changed my mind, go away. FF leaves and bills landlord for call.
Can landlord successfully sue tenant?
LL made arrangements for the repair, and tenant denied repairman access to the fromologater. If the lease includes a right of entry clause (for repair, emergency, or inspection) and the LL notified Tenant in accordance with the terms of the lease, then, yes, I would say the LL can sue.

tranquility

They could sue in contract for the breach of the lease in your scenario. In mine, they sue in quasi-contract/promissory estoppel on the promise.

Gail in Georgia

"He also claims that there are damages to the properties and is threaten to sue me for it. I am a single mother ... We lived there for 10 months, isn't there any normal wear and tear that I am allowed to? "

What do you claim were issues of "normal wear and tear" on the rental unit versus the landlords claims of "damages"???

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">