• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need help making a minor a ward of the court CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cswan84

My son is extremely aggressive and violent. He's completely out of my control. I am physically disabled. His father has never been around. I'm afraid for my own safety. Police can't help. Help me please

Just Blue

My son is extremely aggressive and violent. He's completely out of my control. I am physically disabled. His father has never been around. I'm afraid for my own safety. Police can't help. Help me please
How old is your son?
Has he been Dx'ed with any mental illness/neurological conditions?
Has he ever been under the care of a psychiatrist/psychologist? Medicated?
Have you contacted CPS to see what resources they can offer?
When he behaves violently do you mean physically violent? If yes, do you call the police and report/file a criminal complaint?

Sorry for all the question but it's necessary to get a clear view of your situation.

Cswan84

How old is your son?
Has he been Dx'ed with any mental illness/neurological conditions?
Has he ever been under the care of a psychiatrist/psychologist? Medicated?
Have you contacted CPS to see what resources they can offer?
When he behaves violently do you mean physically violent? If yes, do you call the police and report/file a criminal complaint?

Sorry for all the question but it's necessary to get a clear view of your situation.
Hello. My son is 17. He was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 6. He took medication for a little while
Now that he's bigger, he refuses counseling. He won't allow me to do anything that will help. And yes he's physically violent. He's taller than me and he gets in my face.. his nose to my forehead. Told me he's dismember my body and throw me out a window. He puts holes in my walls, breaks windows, last night he broke his 55inch flat screen. He's violent to his dog.

Cswan84

The police say he can break things, steal from me, kick in my front door ... Because he lives with me in the home. I called the children's receiving home and they said I have to terminate my rights. By the time I do that he will be 18, in August. He knows there's nothing I can do. So therefore he's being extra hard to live with. He smokes marijuana, the police said that's not major. The whole situation is a mess. He's going to get us out out of our apartment. I'm having heart surgery in 5 days. I don't know what to do

Mass_Shyster

Sounds like you should consider a restraining order.

https://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-domesticviolence.htm?rdeLocaleAttr=en

Domestic Violence Restraining Orders
A domestic violence restraining order is a court order that helps protect people from abuse or threats of abuse from someone they have a close relationship with.
You can ask for a domestic violence restraining order if:

1. A person has abused (or threatened to abuse) you;
  2. You have a close relationship with that person. You are:
  • Married or registered domestic partners,
  • Divorced or separated,
  • Dating or used to date,
  • Living together or used to live together(more than roommates),
  • Parents together of a child, OR
  • Closely related (parent, child, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfather, in-law).

If you are a parent and your child is being abused, you can also file a restraining order on behalf of your child to protect your child (and you and other family members). If your child is 12 or older, he or she can file the restraining order on his or her own.

Cswan84

I can get a restraining against him? He doesn't need one from me. At this point I truly believe he needs to be placed somewhere else. I cannot control him. What happens when I get the order?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I can get a restraining against him?
Yes. You can get a restraining order against him.

Don't take legal advice from the police. Just insist that you be allowed to file reports. Document, document, document.

Contact local domestic violence groups. They might be a better source of help than the police.

Rehome the dog with a kind family.

He doesn't need one from me.
We know that. MassShyster was just quoting the list of situations under which a domestic violence restraining order could be obtained.

At this point I truly believe he needs to be placed somewhere else. I cannot control him. What happens when I get the order?
What happens after the order is issued in part depends on what's in the order. You know that a piece of paper isn't going to make him "refrain" from squat, so don't settle for that.

If you get a restraining order that requires he stay away, then he will have to live elsewhere. Where that "elsewhere" is depends on what the options are.

A friend of my family had a son acting out like yours. He was an angel at school, though, so one of his teachers successfully petitioned for guardianship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">