• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need some advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

violet6160

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I live in Texas but this happened in North Carolina.
My 31 year old daughters boyfriend called me on Oct 3, 2008 and said my daughter had fallen in the bathroom but she was okay, he cleaned her up and she was in bed sleeping. I tried calling my daughter on Monday & Tuesday but no one answered. On Wednesday the 8th I tried calling her again, the phone would just ring and the answering machine never picked. I called her boyfriends cell phone and asked him where my daughter was and he said she was at home sleeping, I said Why doesn't she pick up the phone and he said again she is sleeping. I called someone I know in NC and asked them if they could go by her place and check on her. They did but she didn't answer the door so they called police to do a welfare check. They found my daughter on the bed, she couldn't even talk. She was taken by ambulance to the local hospital and then air-lifted to a trauma hospital.
They had to do a craniatomy that night, she came to the hospital with a brain bleed and blood clot on the right side of her head, her jaw was broken on the left and right side, she had a black eye on the left side, a huge bruise on the left side of her head behind her ear and bruises all over her body. All the doctors told me that there was no way she got all of that from a fall in the bathroom. She was in the hospital for nine weeks, while in the hospital she also developed staph meningitis, another type of staph infection and klebsiella. She passed away on December 17, 2008. I think her boyfriend did this to her but as of right now he has not been charged.

My question is can I do a civil lawsuit for wrongful death against her boyfriend because he left her lying there for six days with no medical help, When asked by the police why he didn't get her medical help he said she didn't want to go to the hospital. She couldn't even talk because of the broken jaw and when she was in the hospital she had to be fed through a feeding tube.

I have a memorial website for my daughter, address is http://melissa-platt.last-memories.com

I appreciate any advice anyone can give me, Thank you Marian

Last edited:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I live in Texas but this happened in North Carolina.
My 31 year old daughters boyfriend called me on Oct 3, 2008 and said my daughter had fallen in the bathroom but she was okay, he cleaned her up and she was in bed sleeping. I tried calling my daughter on Monday & Tuesday but no one answered. On Wednesday the 8th I tried calling her again, the phone would just ring and the answering machine never picked. I called her boyfriends cell phone and asked him where my daughter was and he said she was at home sleeping, I said Why doesn't she pick up the phone and he said again she is sleeping. I called someone I know in NC and asked them if they could go by her place and check on her. They did but she didn't answer the door so they called police to do a welfare check. They found my daughter on the bed, she couldn't even talk. She was taken by ambulance to the local hospital and then air-lifted to a trauma hospital.
They had to do a craniatomy that night, she came to the hospital with a brain bleed and blood clot on the right side of her head, her jaw was broken on the left and right side, she had a black eye on the left side, a huge bruise on the left side of her head behind her ear and bruises all over her body. All the doctors told me that there was no way she got all of that from a fall in the bathroom. She was in the hospital for nine weeks, while in the hospital she also developed staph meningitis, another type of staph infection and klebsiella. She passed away on December 17, 2008. I think her boyfriend did this to her but as of right now he has not been charged.

My question is can I do a civil lawsuit for wrongful death against her boyfriend because he left her lying there for six days with no medical help, When asked by the police why he didn't get her medical help he said she didn't want to go to the hospital. She couldn't even talk because of the broken jaw and when she was in the hospital she had to be fed through a feeding tube.

I appreciate any advice anyone can give me, Thank you MarianWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: sorry for your loss and yes you have a right to sue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">