• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i owe $150,00 in student loans! is bankcruptcy possible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legal citizen

idgit152 said:
ok**************..i didnt expect to have so many negative and CRITICAL responses to my posting. i know my situation is not pleasant and does not portray me to be resposible or capable. but hey......u know what, I'M A PERSON and people make mistakes! which i know i've made a few and don't deny that......but also i've had plenty of unfortunate things happen to me along the way as well. but, that's life. i didn't feel the need to write a novel explaining my life and the situations that led me this point.
Oh, you wanted someone to give you a hug or hold your hand and give you some way to get out of paying your debts. Sorry, but the only way to get rid of them is to pay them off.

Anyway, here goes,

Dear sweet student loan borrower,

So sorry, but you cannot get out of paying your student loan debts by filing bankruptcy. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,
Supportive advice and fact giver at FA

Last edited:

idgit152

all i wanted was some answers to my questions, that's it. no hugs, hand holding or kind words. but thanks legal, it makes me happy to know u care so much to take the time to leave me so many kind and whitty responses! ;) anyway, rmet4nzkx, if u happen to read this, i did not originally answer your question for two reasons. one, because someone else mentioned that it didn't matter, and two, because i thought it was just asked out of curiosity and not because it had any impact on my situation. my major is art education if it matters. which, by the way, is why i cannot get a job in my major. you can't teach w/o a degree. oh, and i would like to add that yes legal, i did check out the links u suggested and am looking into that already. however, as i stated, most of my loans are private. most consolidation place only do federal loans. i am trying to find one that does federal and private. i also TRIED the whole forebarance thing but citibank would not help me in anyway or make any type of arrangements on my private loans. they only consider federal loans. i still don't quite understand why, but feel free to contact citiassist and ask what the difference is between private and federal loans. the end result of this is i that i guess i won't be able to file bankruptcy. OH WELL!! it was just a consideration after it was suggested by my FATHER who is worried about my loans for me. but if i could i would. and i'm not ashamed to say that IF there was an easy way out, ie. bankruptcy, i would take it. SO SUE ME!!! i don't see why student loans are looked at any diff. than if i had racked up a bunch of credit card debts , car payments and mortgages after spending iresponsibly for years. but that's ok. those people are entitled to a clean slate? whatever. i will just be in debt for the rest of my life unless i win the lotto. i guess i better rush off to buy my mega millions ticket before tuesday nights drawing. wish me luck people!!!

idgit152

oh, and i just want to let everyone know that beyond "getting rid of my student loans", my main objective is just to find a way to go back to school and graduate. that is ALL I WANT. and i am DESPERATE to do it!! i want to get my degree and be an art teacher. that's all. simple. as i stated originally, unless i can get rid of this debt or somehow bring my loans out of default i will NEVER be able to finish school. even then, i don't know if i can. i keep getting conflicting info. about defaulting and returning to school. maybe i should consider "death as an option". if anyone has any info on faking your death and obtaining a new identity, please let me know! ;) (that's a joke by the way)

rmet4nzkx

idgit152 said:
oh, and i just want to let everyone know that beyond "getting rid of my student loans", my main objective is just to find a way to go back to school and graduate. that is ALL I WANT. and i am DESPERATE to do it!! i want to get my degree and be an art teacher. that's all. simple. as i stated originally, unless i can get rid of this debt or somehow bring my loans out of default i will NEVER be able to finish school. even then, i don't know if i can. i keep getting conflicting info. about defaulting and returning to school. maybe i should consider "death as an option". if anyone has any info on faking your death and obtaining a new identity, please let me know! ;) (that's a joke by the way)
There is something seriously wrong with your ability to plan and accomplish a goal. Your ability to teach any subject is going to be compromised if you are unable to accomplish a goal in life. Even if you earn your degree, what school district is going to hire you from all the qualified teachers once they do a background check? There is no Earthly reason a competent person can't finish college and earn their degree with $150,000. Do you have some sort of a learning disability? DO you have some sort of an academic advisor? Have you ever thought of getting a job, any job so you can start earning your way in society and repaying your debt? Then finish your degree? The chance of earning enough to repay such a large amount of money based on an Art teacher's salary is less than realistic, no wonder you don't have Federal loans and that is why student loans require some repayment as you go otherwise you could continue going to school forever. I earned 4 degrees and never once a student loan. I worked in high school, raised a family had 2 careers and managed to earn a doctorate, BTW one of my degrees is in education and one of my majors is Art.

weenor

idgit152 said:
however, as i stated, most of my loans are private. most consolidation place only do federal loans. i am trying to find one that does federal and private. i also TRIED the whole forebarance thing but citibank would not help me in anyway or make any type of arrangements on my private loans. they only consider federal loans. i still don't quite understand why
Federally backed loans are governed by Federal law and as such you have certain rights and so does the government. One of your rights is that consolidation is available for the federal loans and the lender cannot consider your credit. However, on the private loans the lender can consider your credit and your debt ratio. Your post tells me that you have crappy credit, so Citibank is unwilling to consolidate the loans. btw..never consolidate the loans together because you will lose any rights you have under federal law as to the federally backed loans.

idgit152

i went to a really expensive shool. that was my first mistake seeing as how i obviously couldnt afford it and took out a ton of loans. my school cost $30,000 + a yr. not to mention that it's in NYC, the most expensive city ever. but i was young and stupid and could not see the negative possibilities. and, even though my parents did not pay any of my tuition or bills, the gov't, because of my age, considered thier income as mine and i got almost no financial aid. my parents, although i love them, did NOTHING to help me as far as school is concerned. i contacted and got into colleges on my own, got my own loans and have worked since i was 16. even while attending college i always had at least a p/t job for my own personal money. i have no one to thank, or to blame for my situation but myself. as to me being disabled, no i am not. but like i said, i had a few personal issues that impacted my life and schooling that happened one after the other. also, i changed my major in the begining of my 4th yr......which was another stupid thing but i did not enjoy my current major at that time and LOVED my p/t job at a daycare. then, after my b/f of a year died suddenly, i fell apart emotionally and didnt finish out my last semester. after that i needed a break for a bit. just last summer, after a year off, i was supposed to go back to school when i was fu%$ed over my my roommates who i should never have trusted. another stupid mistake, but i lived w/ a couple who had all the bills in their names. i just gave them a check for my share. well**************on june 24th, they told me we had to be out by the first of the month and were evicted. they had not payed the bills in MONTHS and never told me anything. i have proof i payed my share, so legally, it didnt matter. but w/ a week and no notice to save money or another option, i had to leave ny and move back home w/ my parents in upstate ny. and take a crappy job in a crappy town. that's why i cant afford $900 a month. and that is why i defaulted. i tried to hold citibank off w/ semi paymenst and whatever else i could do so that i could go back this coming semester and finish school but it wasnt enough. i even told them i would pay a fee to my school to register early to prove i was going back to school, but they said that didnt matter. they wouldn't give me an inschool deferment until the DAY classes started. believe me I TRIED EVERYTHING!!! also, like i said before too, i keep getting conflicting advice! some people tell me i should consolidate, and then other people say, don't do do it. what do i do?? but, i still dont blame anyone else and i dont want anybody's pity either. i know there's plenty of people in the world who are worse off. and i'd be willing to bet that there are plenty of people in similar situations as me too. that doesn't mean their jerks who don't deserve anything in life.

idgit152

oh yeah, and good for you rmet4nzkx that u managed to get 4 degrees w/ no student loans. u must be an amazing person, definately a better person than i am.

smorr

Whatever you do ... DON'T let Citibank send your account to an attorney! I dealt with one of the attorneys for them and he's in both Massachusetts and New York. He's a crook and is being investigated by the Mass. Atty General's office for unfair practices. So pay Citibank whatever you can toward it, even if it's not the minimum. Pay them anything ... regularly. If you ignore that you're going to be in even worse trouble financially than you already are!

You really need a better paying job - get on track - forget school for now - and go back when you're financially able. Learning has no time limits and no age limits. You cannot claim bankruptcy in this matter - it won't work out and you'll only be deeper in debt in the longrun trying to fight it.

Just don't let Citibank get the best of you - you will regret it more than just not being able to pay your student loans!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">