• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I quit, but I signed a paper saying terminated.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimnyc

I disagree that OP quit. OP offered to provide notice that he would voluntarily terminate in 2 weeks (but would continue to work for that 2 weeks). Prior to the completion of that 2 weeks the employer fired OP. So, he did not voluntarily terminate. OP was involuntarily terminated.

This is not like the joke about the person who was told they were fired. He responded "you can't fire me, because I quit." Then HR said "you can't quit because I'm firing you." This joke refers to both parties trying to terminate employment at the same instant. OP and his HR are addressing terminations 2 weeks apart.
Voluntary termination is quitting, and they just accepted the notice earlier is all.

commentator

This is one I'd certainly let the unemployment system get in there and hammer out. It could be argued both ways, though I suspect this OP would jump quickly and proudly onto the "I quit! I gave two weeks notice!" bandwagon and thus completely talk his way out of unemployment aproval. This will suit the employer just fine, as the claim will be denied, and they'll be off that particular hook. They wouldn't likely argue with anyone who said the employee was giving two weeks notice and was told to go on and leave after additional problems and issues surfaced.

But as I said, since this was a part time retail job, and we don't know about how much this person had worked in the past 18 months, if there aren't enough covered wages to make up a claim monetarily, they won't even get into these separation issues. I feel that this is a case of the OP being really over-involved in some workplace drama and believing there were more rights and protections for them on the job than there really are. You have the right to quit, and they have the right to fire you.

rzbymai

That's what I thought they did to me. Fired me without telling me. I think they didn't want for me to finish the 2 weeks so I wont tell nobody about that talk. I didn't speak to many of my previous coworkers but I did speak to a lot of people from different departments even cops that worked in the building. After Hiree person heard I told a cop about what happened, she told me I don't want for you to speak to nobody, just keep everything to yourself. I have proof of her saying that. Like I said my story is long. I wish I had proof of the last conversation when she terminated me.

rzbymai

I worked there for about 7 months, I was waiting for that particular sport season to finish which was around the corner in September so I could quit. Like I said I did quit before they terminated me but then I changed my mind because a coworker insisted and to proof to myself I could overcome obstacles at the job. That was the strangest retail job I ever had. I never had problems with management until I worked there.

eerelations

As we've tried to tell you many many times, nothing illegal has occurred in your situation. You have no legal recourse. You may file for unemployment benefits but it's unlikely that you'll get them, given that you did give your former employer a quit date, combined with your part time status.

This means that there's absolutely nothing else you can do about this, except file an unemployment insurance claim. And that's it. Period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">