• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I refused to take third Polygraph in six month and now I am getting Laid off.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rojo2

Since they are kind enough to "lay you off," albeit with no severance (which they are in no way required to provide) you need to file as soon as the job ends for unemployment benefits. Say only that you were laid off, NOT that you were fired for yada yada yada and they have violated your rights, etc etc. The unemployment system isn't interested. But since the company has said they have no more work for you, you should be able to get approved for unemployment benefits, which is your only recourse while you look for a job that does not require you to take polygraphs, which apparently you have some sort of mental issue with.

You were one of those millions of workers out there who assumed there were all sorts of rights and privileges and protections in the law that you didn't really have. They are obviously not firing you because you are Asian American, which might violate the EEOC provisions of labor laws. they are letting you go because you can't keep your security clearances up as required because you don't like to take polygraphs.

Thanks to everone who responded. I was just throwing this out here to see what kind of response I would get. I have taken 5 polys with ease (employed for 24 years), before taking these last 2 traumatizing tests (the third test would be my first time taking a Life Style). I just don't feel right about what they asked and how they acted towards me. But I knew the consequences when I refused to answer those Life Style questions. I used to say... I go to work everyday because the people on unemployment depends on me. Now I can say... Keep up the good work people, Unemployment here I come.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks to everone who responded. I was just throwing this out here to see what kind of response I would get. I have taken 5 polys with ease (employed for 24 years), before taking these last 2 traumatizing tests (first time taking a Life Style). I just don't feel right about what they asked and how they acted towards me. But I knew the consequences when I refused to answer those Life Style questions. I used to say... I go to work everyday because the people on unemployment depends on me. Now I can say... Keep up the good work people, Unemployment here I come.
You do know that unemployment is insurance that is paid for by the employee, right? :rolleyes:

Pinkie39

You do know that unemployment is insurance that is paid for by the employee, right? :rolleyes:
Actually it's not. It's a common misconception that employees pay for unemployment compensation.

Unemployment insurance is paid for by the employer, to cover their employees, in the event of a layoff.

In some states, certain categories of employers are not required to pay into the state's unemployment fund, so their employees cannot collect unemployment if they are laid off.

For example, religious organizations in Ohio are exempted from paying into the state unemployment system. I was laid off from my job at a church a few years ago, and wasn't able to collect unemployment, because my employer was exempted from it.

commentator

I think zigner just forgot the "R" in 'Paid for by the employer" This OP should not believe that unemployment insurance is welfare, based on poverty and paid for by the working taxpayer. This is a misconception shared by many people in our country, where we're getting less and less well informed about a whole lot of things!

In the 1930's unemployment insurance was established as an insurance program which is charged to the employers of the individual states, and is paid only to their employees who are out of work through no fault of their own. Before that, any time an employee complained about the working conditions, the employer could simply send them home and let them starve to death. Now they receive a small stipend until they find re-employment. This is not based in any way on whether they are low income or not.

I get disgusted by those "oh my God!" stories about people who are drawing unemployment who win the lottery, or whose husband makes $400,000 a year. Those people if they meet the criteria are fully eligible.

In a very few states there is a tiny portion of unemployment tax taken from the employees' pay. In most, it is taken solely from the employers. And pinky is correct, certain categories of employers are not required to pay it, so the employees just do not get it. As I said, it is not based on need, but eligibility.

Laying an employee off for lack of work, which is a polite way of saying they have no more work for YOU personally, whether they have no work for anyone else or not, means you qualify for unemployment without a whole lot of questions asked. The employer elects to eat the possible increase in their unemployment tax rate and just lets the employee go.

In this case, for this employee to refuse to draw unemployment benefits when laid off from the job would be profoundly silly, equivalent to not using company provided health insurance when going to the doctor because he's too proud. Sadly, yes, they can do it to you, they can let you go for almost any reason, and your only recourse is unemployment benefits.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Thanks to everone who responded. I was just throwing this out here to see what kind of response I would get. I have taken 5 polys with ease (employed for 24 years), before taking these last 2 traumatizing tests (the third test would be my first time taking a Life Style). I just don't feel right about what they asked and how they acted towards me. But I knew the consequences when I refused to answer those Life Style questions. I used to say... I go to work everyday because the people on unemployment depends on me. Now I can say... Keep up the good work people, Unemployment here I come.

In other words you wasted everybody's time?

:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">