• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I sold a car and now its having problems..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helpmenow00

I sold a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee to a man about a week ago. I had the Jeep checked out 3 times by my mechanic because i heard a clunking oise comeing from what i thought to be the shocks/struts/a-frame. My mechanic told me there was nothing wrong with anything to do with that stuff. I told him to check everything that could make a noise like that when going over bumps, he cam eback to me saying there was nothing wrong. Three weeks before that i asked him to do a complete tune-up, oil change, and to change my other fluids. I have a reciept for my tune-up. Here is the email the buyer sent me yesterday. (with all names blanked out)

"Hi *****: I brought the Jeep into the dealer to have it checked over and got some disturbing news. First off, that clunking noise you heard was not the shocks, they are fine, but are the ball joints all around and the bushings in the front struts. It will cost $955 to redo these. I could not believe it so I had them show them to me. Also, the car has not has a real tune up in a long time and needs a major tune up including having the injectors replaced. The transmission needs service, not major, but attention nonetheless. I think you should tell your mechanic that he needs to find a new job because he knows nothing about cars. This is going to cost me $2200! The dealer I brought the car to is ******* Jeep in ****** where I used to have my old Jeep serviced. They were always fair and honest so I know they are not ripping me off. In fact, the only things still good with the car are the shocks and brakes. I think it would be fair for you to make a contribution to these repairs and ask that you do so. Please respond
Thank you,
****"

I've read some of the massachusetts lemon law and didn't find anything that could help me. Most of it had to do with dealers and warranties. I'm not against giving the guy some money for repairs, but i feel i shouldn't have to pay for everything. I sold him the car and told him everything i knew,according to what my mechanic told me. I'm just wondering what my legal obligations are to the buyer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

djohnson

I would say your legal obligations are nothing. He should have had his mechanic check it out prior to purchasing. He was made aware of the clunking before purchasing. If he didn't pursue it, it is his fault. I wouldn't do anything.

Cbarnes429

I believe you do not owe a cent. Did you make it perfectly clear the sale was "AS IS"? If you did, your volunteering the "clunking" noise was just that, a volunteer.

Good Luck.

panzertanker

I believe IAAL will be proud I paid attention...

to one of his posts.

I think the expression you are looking for is caveat emptor

Caveat Emptor
Latin for "Let the buyer beware." The idea that buyers take responsibility for the condition of the items they purchase and should examine them before purchase. This is especially true for items that are not covered under a strict warranty.

Tell the buyer to suck wind, you owe him nothing.

You Are Guilty

Not to mention that any dealer who claims replacing fuel injectors is part of a "tune up" is clearly ripping off its customers.

Your buyer gets squat!

dallas702

How are you doing with your buyer?

It seems you did everything you could....far more than most auto sellers would....and shouldn't feel responsible.

Question: did he pay what you originally asked for the Jeep? How many miles were on it?

Either your mechanic is pretty dumb, or his dealership is hosing him. Bad ball joints are easy to spot. That's high school stuff. Tranny service...not your problem. Injectors....not your problem. If he says it needs a tune-up either your mechanic has been hosing you, or his dealership is again hosing him (or helping him get money out of you).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">