• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was in an accident with no insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hattiee25

What is the name of your state?
California

A car hit me, admitted it was his fault, told me to tell his insurance it was his fault, however when I gave my statement to his insurance, he had told them that I hit him.

The damage was so slight that I didn't want to report it to my insurance, which since I am going through a divorce, I found out later that my husband had stopped paying it, so I didn't have any at the time.

His insurance co said they would do an investigation, which they never did and then they sent me a bill for 3000 and said if I didn't pay they would sue me!

What should I do, what are my rights if I didn't have any insurance and there is no police report.

Last edited:

Happy Trails

hattiee25 said:
What is the name of your state?
California

A car hit me, admitted it was his fault, told me to tell his insurance it was his fault, however when I gave my statement to his insurance, he had told them that I hit him.

The damage was so slight that I didn't want to report it to my insurance, which since I am going through a divorce, I found out later that my husband had stopped paying it, so I didn't have any at the time.

His insurance co said they would do an investigation, which they never did and then they sent me a bill for 3000 and said if I didn't pay they would sue me!

What should I do, what are my rights if I didn't have any insurance and there is no police report.
You only have a couple of options, pay them and put it behind you, don't pay them and let them sue (then they would have to prove it).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">