• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zddoodah

Also no it was not an intersection it was a dirt road he was trying to pull into.
So...the intersection of the "country road" on which you were driving and the "dirt road." That's still an intersection.

The answer remains unchanged: Since you were without insurance, you'll have to deal with this yourself. You can either pay what the other driver's insurer is demanding or ask for a payment plan or say no and see what happens. Since you were apparently passing illegally, blowing off the insurer's demand would not likely be a good idea.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As was mentioned before (I believe), be prepared to lose your license for a year.

Litigator22

As was mentioned before (I believe), be prepared to lose your license for a year. (?)
One year? How about permanently?

California Vehicle Code Section 16370. The department shall suspend the privilege of any person to operate a motor vehicle upon receiving a certified copy of a judgment, or a certified copy of the register of actions (or a comparable court record of another jurisdiction) in an action resulting in a judgment for damages, and a certificate of facts relative to the judgment, on a form provided by the department, indicating that the person has failed for a period of 30 days to satisfy a judgment rendered against him or her.

Section 16371. The suspension shall remain in effect, and no license shall be issued to the judgment debtor until the judgment debtor gives proof of financial responsibility as provided in Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 16430), and until either the judgment is satisfied in full or to the extent provided in this chapter, etc.

I already dealt with that I jus got a suspension for a year because it was my first offence. And I had to pay a fee of 255$ to purchase a restricted license allowing me to drive to work and back, medical reasoning, and emergencies. I had to obtain a SR-22 on my new insurance, and if for whatever reason my insurance is canceled I will lose my suspended license. Also I have to have insurance for the next 5 years or they will suspend my license again.

Thank yall for your help, I think I'm going to jus pay what the insurance wants as its probably going to be less than the cost of fighting it.

quincy

Thank yall for your help, I think I'm going to jus pay what the insurance wants as its probably going to be less than the cost of fighting it.
You could try to settle for less but, yes, paying what is demanded is often cheaper than trying to fight with an insurance company.

Just make sure that you get in writing from the insurance company a dated and signed letter saying that receipt of your payment settles all claims, now or in the future, arising from the incident.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
One year? How about permanently?

California Vehicle Code Section 16370. The department shall suspend the privilege of any person to operate a motor vehicle upon receiving a certified copy of a judgment, or a certified copy of the register of actions (or a comparable court record of another jurisdiction) in an action resulting in a judgment for damages, and a certificate of facts relative to the judgment, on a form provided by the department, indicating that the person has failed for a period of 30 days to satisfy a judgment rendered against him or her.

Section 16371. The suspension shall remain in effect, and no license shall be issued to the judgment debtor until the judgment debtor gives proof of financial responsibility as provided in Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 16430), and until either the judgment is satisfied in full or to the extent provided in this chapter, etc.
I was referring to the no-insurance aspect...but yeah, you make a good point too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">