• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ideas for before court appearance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irish77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

If you have some things that you are willing to do as a plea for the DWI/DUI punishment and the state is willing to work with you, do you think you need to communicate this to your lawyer?

For instance, if you will do 1,000 hrs of community service, 10-20 days in jail, etc. Is this something you should tell your lawyer or do you think he might already view these as possible options/outcomes?

Thanks

seniorjudge

If you have some things that you are willing to do as a plea for the DWI/DUI punishment and the state is willing to work with you, do you think you need to communicate this to your lawyer?

You should NOT tell your lawyer this.

Just your name, rank, and serial number.

Let him figure the rest out himself.

Communication is way overrated.

irish77

You should NOT tell your lawyer this.
Just your name, rank, and serial number.
Let him figure the rest out himself.
Communication is way overrated.
Ok. I mean, I am basing a lot on what you say, so I hope this works out. I mean, I don't know what direction to go. I know it's his job, so I guess I wouldn't want people telling me how to do my job when they've done it for 15-30 years like he has. Thanks.

Willing To Do?

Typically the court system is not interested in the punishemts you are willing to do, as they can force you to to acccept any punishment they deeem fit to hand down. The state can offer you a plea bargain arrangement and you can be willing to accept that, or go to trial.

Anything questions, concerns, your thoughts need to be communicated to your lawyer, as he is working and fighting for you. Lawyers do not like surprises in court, so anything you plan on saying to the judge, prosecutors, etc, should most DEFINITELY be communicated to your lawyer. He is the best person who can advice you if what you are planning to say, will help you, or hurt you. He can also suggest what you may want to say, to help your case.

irish77

thanks. after 3 emails over the last month I sent, he hasn't returned any. Just gonna pick up the phone next week and see what the deal is.

irish77

I know they can give me whatever they want. I've accepted that. Just looking at alternatives. I'd rather do 300 hrs of community service then go to those classes...but I know what it comes down to.

Most People Would Be Willing

To do community service if they could to avoid the classes, jail, etc. If that was an option, nobody would be in jail or have to go to the classes. Call him on the phone, email is not a good method of communication with your lawyer, when your butt is on the line.

For all you know, he never got them, they got hung up in a spam filter, etc, you just really never know. If he says he never got them, how would you know he did?

They could be, lost sitting in a junk mail filter from his virus scan program. Any thing can happen with email. Use the phone, request a meeting, do a phone conference, but get some actual contact and dialog going with him.

If you are sick, you do not email your doctor and tell him you are sick and wait for him to email you back with a possible remedy, ahh no you call him talk to him on the phone, and or go see him. Lawyers are no different.

He works for you, you are paying him, but if he does not know what you are thinking, or what your concerns are, how can he give you the best possible outcome.

Last edited:

irish77

Thanks. I agree with you. Well, he got the first one & responded the day after the first meeting. So maybe he just has his gameplan set, but I am going to call regardless next weekend. This weekend has been stressfull enough. I am starting to think positive again though.

Typically Stress Comes From A Fear Of

The unknown. You do not know what is gonna happen, so ya get scared, think of all the worst case scenarios, and get stressed. In a situation like this, it is understandable, however the more you know, the better off you will feel. Most of what we fear, never happens like we thought it was going too. Get thru this holiday weekend, and come Monday call your lawyer and get some information. The more information you have, the more control you have, the more control you have, the less fear you will have, and your stress level will decrease.

Bottom line, you are not going to prison for life, are not gonna get the chair here. I had a lawyer tell me once years ago, when I was in my 20's. This legal siutation you currently find yourself in, is not the end of the world, you will get throught it, and in 5 years, you will look back on this, and laugh, and be that much the wiser. He was right!

So hang in there. People tend to kick themselves harder then anybody else would.

Sometimes you gotta put your asss on the line, to learn something!

Last edited:

Clock

Just out of curiosity irish, why don't you want to take the classes? Seems like that would be a lot easier, take less time, and be less embarrassing than doing community service on the highway or whatever.

BigMistakeFl

DUI Classes

The classes are actually very informative. Embrace them not as a penalty, rather a manner of learning. I saw two types of people in mine, those who tried to make the best of it and gain from the experience, and those who looked like they were being tortured and did not participate.

Incidentally, in my state, the DUI class instructors have the power to send you for more alcohol counseling. Guess which type of student got that treatment?

irish77

Just out of curiosity irish, why don't you want to take the classes? Seems like that would be a lot easier, take less time, and be less embarrassing than doing community service on the highway or whatever.
With community service, I feel like the rehab is both ways. Rehab me. Rehab the community. I would much rather spend my free time building, constructing, helping and teaching.

To me, it's not at all embarassing. I enjoy it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">