• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If my vehicle is damaged due to my employer releasing a roaming animal, are they liable to pay for the damages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rose07

Colorado:

A little context, I work for a zoo and an email was sent yesterday evening (I'm hourly so I didn't see it) telling everyone they're releasing peacocks to roam and they especially favor the parking lot.

Now, coming out to go to lunch, my car is scuffed to all hell and they went to town on one of my tires. I'm so upset since I had no idea this was something they did.

They said they weren't liable in the email, but are they???

Just Blue

Colorado:

A little context, I work for a zoo and an email was sent yesterday evening (I'm hourly so I didn't see it) telling everyone they're releasing peacocks to roam and they especially favor the parking lot.

Now, coming out to go to lunch, my car is scuffed to all hell and they went to town on one of my tires. I'm so upset since I had no idea this was something they did.

Are you saying that the Zoo Management didn't send the email to hourly workers? Please clarify the bolded portion. Also...is this (let the birds roam the parking lot )something they do on occasion?

Rose07

Are you saying that the Zoo Management didn't send the email to hourly workers? Please clarify the bolded portion.
Hi - sorry about the confusion, it was sent to everyone, but I don't have access to email after leaving work and it was sent in the evening...

PayrollHRGuy

The zoo owns the animals. The zoo specifically allowed the animals to roam where they could damage property. I'd say they likely have some liability.

That said, is the amount you are out be worth your job, which you will likely lose after you sue the zoo.

Just Blue

Hi - sorry about the confusion, it was sent to everyone, but I don't have access to email after leaving work and it was sent in the evening...
You don't have a desktop/laptop/phone that you can access your e-mail after work?

Just Blue

And if you could please answer my question about how often they let the birds roam, that would be helpful...Thank you.

Rose07

The zoo owns the animals. The zoo specifically allowed the animals to roam where they could damage property. I'd say they likely have some liability.

That said, is the amount you are out be worth your job, which you will likely lose after you sue the zoo.
That's true, I don't get paid much anyway. I'll be seeking alternative employment since I can't afford to pay for multiple repairs since they'll be roaming all summer

PayrollHRGuy

That's true, I don't get paid much anyway. I'll be seeking alternative employment since I can't afford to pay for multiple repairs since they'll be roaming all summer
You have two legal options and it really depends on your insurance and the amount of damage done.

1. Report the damages to your insurance carrier and make sure they know the whole story. They will likely go after the zoo.
2. Sue them directly in either small claims court or get a lawyer.

LdiJ

You have two legal options and it really depends on your insurance and the amount of damage done.

1. Report the damages to your insurance carrier and make sure they know the whole story. They will likely go after the zoo.
2. Sue them directly in either small claims court or get a lawyer.
Of course, that is assuming that the amount of damage is greater than his deductible. Scuffing and tire damage might not be greater than his deductible.

quincy

Colorado:

What exactly did the email say?

Did the email advise all employees to park elsewhere during the time the peacocks are roaming?

Is the employee parking lot gated? Were signs posted in the parking lot (perhaps at the entry)?

Rose07

Of course, that is assuming that the amount of damage is greater than his deductible. Scuffing and tire damage might not be greater than his deductible.
It's $500. I'll have to go get it looked at to see how much damage repair will cost - thank you!

Rose07

What exactly did the email say?

Did the email advise all employees to park elsewhere during the time the peacocks are roaming?

Is the employee parking lot gated? Were signs posted in the parking lot (perhaps at the entry)?
Hi!

There were no alternative parking options presented. We were advised in the email to not wash our cars or get a cover so there's no reflection...
Employee parking is not gated, the only thing separating it from public parking is a curb. There were no signs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">